Is this pullet rumpless? Or is there something wrong with her?

UPDATE: I stumbled upon this old thread of mine and thought I'd post an update, in case anybody finds it useful.

This lady is now a hen over a year old, lays eggs fine and seems to have a very normal life despite her defective tail. I still haven't seen her move her tail, ever, and the feathers are still folded over her butt, but that doesn't stop her from pooping or laying. She gets a poopy butt sometimes, but I don't think it's because of the tail, but rather because her butt fluff is just too luxurious. Her sister gets a much worse case of the poopy butt, despite having a normal upright tail. I give them a bath and a trim occasionally, which they are very tolerant of, and even seem to enjoy. It triggers the grooming reflex, so when I start bathing them or giving them a haircut, they join in and start preening themselves calmly, so we have a nice spa day. I love my babies!

1659384973385.png

1659385014897.png

1659385036785.png

1659385059080.png

Thanks for posting an update! I have an ISA Brown with some weird tail issue going on - I'm going to go check her tail nub now. She has 4 tail feathers but they're off to the side - I wonder if she has an issue similar to your chicken? She's 3.5-4 months so not full grown yet, but has never (or not yet?) grown a tail.

Also, your chickens are gorgeous!

Attachments

• IMG_3640.jpg
    IMG_3640.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3612.jpg
    IMG_3612.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1

Back