Kalista Potter

Chirping
Sep 25, 2019
Hello I have a 4 month old Pekin called Rusty she seems to have a respiratory problem but i want other people opinions on what they think.

Her following symptoms are
- watery clear liquid coming from the nose useally when she sneezes which is on and off not all the time.
Sounds like a gurgle/crackle/bubble sound sometimes popping hard to discribe but 100% sounds like a crackle/bubble like noise. ( almost sounds like a block nose and throught
- she's eating very well and drinking on her own.
- she does not seem to be lethargic at all.
- she is Molting currently.
- sounds like she has thick Saliva in her throught.
- her crop seems fine as well and I've felt it doesn't seem to feel abnormal at all
- her poos are solild and seems to be a standed like poo.
I checked inside her throught and seems normall no yellow to be spotted or bright like red.
- she preens and seems happy and content, she enjoys sitting on my lap pecks around and does a content chicken peer
Though sometimes like when i checked before she had a small amount of thick white Saliva seems to be cleared now and on an occasion she flicks her head rarely though to get rid of the Saliva.

Note: the weather has been cold and hot for the past week here it was also really windy and cold when she seemed to have gotten the symptoms its now currently heating up once again( like today) and its summer here.

I have started her on antibiotics was this good idea?
Please let me know if anyone has any ideas if this is what she could have or if its something else.
Thank you have a nice night or day 😊

Give her magic water -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V9CHFdrK50

Use warm water though. And keep it strong!

Consider taking her to the vet!

Can you get a video of her? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

What antibiotic and dose have you started?

Does she still have thick saliva in the beak? Crop is emptying overnight?

What antibiotic and dose have you started?

Does she still have thick saliva in the beak? Crop is emptying overnight?
Yes i have a video link below this message, i mannged to record her doing this gasp sort of throught motion which is hard to describe ( there is video shown on what i mean)

The Antibiotics she's taking is called Doxycilone Sandoz dosage is 50mg tablet i got it from west Gippsland vet care
i give her one tablet twice a day for 5 days morning and night. I've used this on my 5 other hens awhile back when they had respiratory disease and it cured it within 5 days.

No doesn't seem to be I've cheeked and no sign at all unlike beofore when i checked, Maybe since its day 1 and and a half of antibiotics?

With her crop emptying at night im not fully certain but ill definitely check, i would say so since she does poo at a normal rate.

She does sit down sometimes and preens her feathers but maybe shes just relaxing.

I have the videos but im unsure on how to send links here im still new to BYC

I’m still new too. Don’t know much about chickens yet but to me it just sounds like she might have a little cold.

i give her one tablet twice a day for 5 days morning and night. I've used this on my 5 other hens awhile back when they had respiratory disease and it cured it within 5 days.
For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

You have history of respiratory disease within your flock? This may be what's going on with her then. Even when birds "recover" they are carriers. There's no cure for avian respiratory disease.

For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

You have history of respiratory disease within your flock? This may be what's going on with her then. Even when birds "recover" they are carriers. There's no cure for avian respiratory disease.
Yes I've had it 5 times before i got her shes just a new hen of mine i got from my auntie I've only had for 3 days now. And shes only 4 months old, is she just adjusting to the new environment?

If you have respiratory disease in your flock, anytime you bring in new birds there's a good possibility the new bird(s) will become sick.
Most that have disease in their flock keep it closed - no new birds, no selling or giving away birds or hatching eggs.

Depending on what disease your flock has, the incubation period can be as little as a couple of days.

Was she showing any of these symptoms when you got her or did they develop afterward?

Back
Top Bottom