Is this scaly leg mites?

Kungfoomanda

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2019
I'm pretty sure our silkie roo has a nasty case of leg mites. We took him out this evening to bathe him and saw these nasty looking feet.
Here's our dilemma. He's my 11 year old daughter roo and he's a 4h chicken she is showing on Monday at our county Fair for her 4h project. She's showing him and another silkie hen.
Here's what we did.
1) Bathed him as usual but made sure to soak his feet really well.
2) scrubbed his feet really well with Dawn and chicken scrub with a toothbrush.
3) after blow-drying him we dipped both feet in gasoline and after that dried slathered them in vasoline.

My questions are these....does it look like scaly leg mites?
If so is this a good treatment?
What are the odds his feet will look better by Sunday (when we take them to the fair grounds.?)
Thanks in advance! I appreciate you all!

Attachments

• IMG_20190729_184229612.jpg
    IMG_20190729_184229612.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20190729_184225625.jpg
    IMG_20190729_184225625.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 48
I'm pretty sure our silkie roo has a nasty case of leg mites. We took him out this evening to bathe him and saw these nasty looking feet.
Here's our dilemma. He's my 11 year old daughter roo and he's a 4h chicken she is showing on Monday at our county Fair for her 4h project. She's showing him and another silkie hen.
Here's what we did.
3) after blow-drying him we dipped both feet in gasoline and after that dried slathered them in vasoline.

What are the odds his feet will look better by Sunday (when we take them to the fair grounds.?)

Your treatment is good. Continue to apply only vaseline as it wears off. Check daily. Slather it on at roost time.
No way in hell they will look healed by Sunday.
He should not be taken to the fair as he could contaminate other birds and he won't place anyway because of the SLM.

Here's what we did.

Yep definitely Scaly Leg mites. I had one with severe mites on him and I spayed his legs with Nettex Scaly leg mite spray and it was gone within 5 months.

Here's what we did.

Also I used Vaseline with mine as well since it suffocated the mites:) He has them on his comb and I used the Vaseline up there. I have never heard of using gasoline and I don’t think the fumes are good for respiratory of a chicken either. Also I would definitely not take him to the fair as Scaly Leg Mites are very contagious and they take a long time to get off. You will have to continue applying Vaseline and if you choose to do the spray, you will have to apply twice a day for 2 weeks until it is completely gone. You will want to make sure you don’t see any scabby stuff hiding anywhere on him because it will come back if it is.

Back
Top Bottom