Is this scaly leg mites?

TimBaumann

Songster
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Namibia
My roosters feet don't look as clean as my hens feet. I don't know if it's because of the feathers growing out of them or if it might be scaly leg mites! He's the only one with this since my the hens' feet are featherless!

So what do you think? I looked at some pics on the internet and I'm not sure! He acts perfectly normal and is the king of my small flock!

Last edited:
I'm not sure either. Other than pictures on the internet, I've only seen scaly leg mites once. At an auction, on the chickens they were trying to sell!! The feet and legs on those chickens looked really swollen, and the chickens were "gingerly' walking around.

Even though I'm no expert, and I really don't know I don't think so. If they are, I'd say it's in the "beginning" stages. If I were you, and nobody could give me a definitive answer, I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Yes, that is moderate scaly leg mites. Not as bad as it could be, and scaly leg mites are quite simple to get rid of. If you CAN get Nustock, that is your best bet. If not, try lubricating legs as much as possible with Vaseline. Repeat after it wears off. Try doing it on the roost so they have an entire night of sitting with the stuff on their legs. The Vaseline will smother the mites.

Also older birds are more prone to developing scaly leg mites. It takes quite some time to get really bad. A year or so.

Their legs will get pale as the mites progress. I had noticed it on two barred rocks that came from the same place.

Last edited:
Yes, that is moderate scaly leg mites. Not as bad as it could be, and scaly leg mites are quite simple to get rid of. If you CAN get Nustock, that is your best bet. If not, try lubricating legs as much as possible with Vaseline. Repeat after it wears off. Try doing it on the roost so they have an entire night of sitting with the stuff on their legs. The Vaseline will smother the mites.
Also older birds are more prone to developing scaly leg mites. It takes quite some time to get really bad. A year or so.
Their legs will get pale as the mites progress. I had noticed it on two barred rocks that came from the same place.
Thanks you so much aoxa.....So glad somebody who knows what they're talking about chimed in!!

Yeah thanks a lot!
smile.png
I don't think we have Nustock here but I can search around and see if our vet might have something but I think vaseline is my best option! The roo is not very old I think maybe about a year! He just started mating and his sister also started laying about a month and a half ago! Thanks a lot for the quick reply I really appreciate it!

Yeah thanks a lot! :)  I don't think we have Nustock here but I can search around and see if our vet might have something but I think vaseline is my best option! The roo is not very old I think maybe about a year! He just started mating and his sister also started laying about a month and a half ago! Thanks a lot for the quick reply I really appreciate it!  
No problem :D I think scaly leg mites is the easiest parasite to kill naturally.

Roo #2 has them worse than roo #1.

oh they are the same rooster I just used flash in one of the pics that's why the colors look different!
tongue.png
So vaseline works just fine? And do you think my other hens will also have them if he has them or will get them?

Last edited:
oh they are the same rooster I just used flash in one of the pics that's why the colors look different! :p  So vaseline works just fine? And do you think my other hens will also have them if he has them or will get them?
They are contagious. I did not treat every chicken I have, but keep my eyes open for any starting signs. It's just Vaseline, so if you only have a few hens, no harm in lubing them all up :)

Last edited:
Ok I just finished!!
big_smile.png
I waited for him to go to his windowsill and then took him inside, soaked his feet in epsom salt mixed with water. Then I dried his legs and applied the vaseline! Now he's back on the windowsill and ready to sleep! I have to admit it was very fun doing this!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom