Is this seriously not enough space??????

Quote:
I think you're annoyed with my political avater.

I had a lot of (private, in PM) compliments on my last political avatar - but someone complained to the mods and I had to remove it.

To be honest, I don't know which affiliation your avatar is tied to
lau.gif
mine was pretty obvious at the time
hide.gif

maybe I'm just not offended because I'm ignorant of the picture associated to different groups
gig.gif

wink.png
Or maybe I just don't give a rip and figure everyone has an opinion, and I can't please everyone, so why should I want them all to please me.

Now I'm curious, though, as to whom that particular pic is associated with....
big_smile.png

eta - Mods, please don't misconstrue this as whining cause I had to change my avatar - I was just letting her know that others get in trouble for it, too.
wink.png

OH!! also eta - (so as to stay on topic
smile.png
) I think your coop and run are plenty big enough for your chickens - like others have said - as long as your chickens are healthy and happy, then that is exactly the size that you need for them.

meri

Last edited:
I've got the same amount of birds (a few more silkies, a few less std.) and less room than you, but my birds are healthy and happy and that's what matters to me. I'm still averaging 4 - 6 eggs a day out of 6 or 7 laying hens, despite the decreased daylight. I know that all my birds (except the ones I hatched) have a lot more room than they ever did at the places that I bought them from. I should mention though, that I live where the weather's nice enough to let them go outside all the time.

Now I'm curious, though, as to whom that particular pic is associated with....

tee hee, it is anti-Obama. I'm going to change it, hate to offend anyone...
roll.png

sounds to me like you should be fine, many people house in MUCH less space, i house 18 chicks in almost the same space and have no trouble at all, i actually had 35 in there to start but got tired of low egg production and paying for so much feed so re-homed some (going on 2 yrs and winter, so egg production drop was no surprise)

Last edited:
.Jamie. One great husband, four awesome kids. 2 Great Pyrenees (Keeper & Kilo), 1 APBT (Oakley), 4 Nigerian Dwarf goats, and 40 chickens: Exchequer and 236 Leghorns, RIR, Production Red, EE, Black Ameraucana, Black Silkies, BO, SLW, self-blue OEGB, and some mixes. I love them all!!
LOOKING FOR: B/B/S Silkie hatching eggs or adults for sale! show/breeder quality no hatchery stock

Is it possible that "they" think you have 236 Leghorns?
hu.gif

In my opinion, practically all standard advice on here is a rule of thumb. There are very little hard and fast rules when it comes to chickens. Part of that is that each one is an individual and each flock is made up of individuals. Flock dynamics are different for each of us. Our experiences are different. All I have to do is say that my Orpingtons started laying before my Austalorps and someone will come on to say they had exactly the opposite experience. Or someone will switch to pellets and their chickens won't eat the pellets, where mine would eat the pellets and had to be starved into finishing the crumbles. I also think a big difference is that we all have different conditions. Nothing is standard for us.

There are so many things that go into the answer of how much space is needed that there cannot be a standard answer, yet this site has to come up with one. Some of the factors I'm aware of that go into the equation, other than the personality of the individual chickens, are the size of the chickens, the maturity level, the breed, do you feed or water inside the coop or outside, how do you manage the poop, are nest boxes inside or outside, how big is the run, how often are they locked in the coop (or coop and run) for extended periods, what is your weather like (snow, ice, wet, windy, heat), is the run shaded, how much time if any they are allowed outside the coop and run, is your flock all one sex or is it mixed, or simply the size of your flock. I'm sure I am missing a few factors. Now with all this, come up with one answer for someone raising one hundred Cornish crosses in Nova Scotia, someone breeding silkies for show in Miami, and someone keeping three sex link hens for eggs in Seattle. Many people require simplistic answers and it is good to have a starting point.

This site has come up with the general rule of thumb that 4 square feet per full sized fowl in the coop along with 10 square feet per bird in the run will keep most people out of trouble. For some, it is overkill. Some people following these space suggestions still have trouble. And unfortunately , some people will see the different rules of thumb we have on here, accept them as hard and fast laws without knowing what goes into them, and will be horrified that someone is not following them. They are not mean or cruel people. Quite the contrary, they are probably caring people.

Whether or not you meet the sizes given by these rules of thumb, you need to always be on the lookout for diseases and behavioral problems. If your chickens are doing OK, then you are doing well enough.

As I started out, I'll conclude by saying this is my opinion. I find it quite possible others will disagree.

Is it possible that "they" think you have 236 Leghorns?

lol.png

Well, I am very particular when it comes to my animals. I want them to have the best quality of life with the best care that I can offer. My chickens are very healthy and happy and I feel good about it. I spend a lot of time daily just watching them interact- it is so entertaining. I have never noticed any sort of hostile environment, no pecking, no fighting. They just run around chasing bugs, digging for bugs, dust bathing, and stretching their wings. 18 small chickens share a 240 sq foot run (13.34 sq ft per bird) and an 80 sq ft coop (4.45 sq ft per bird) for a total of 17.78 sq ft per bird. They have free access to the outdoors, and a roomy, dry coop that keeps them safe from the elements and predators.​

Based on my calculations unless you get more chickens and promptly you are in violation of the required space per bird rule and you need more chickens and very quickly. Space police will be out in force and we need compliance!!!! LOL

Sounds like you enjoy your birds. And thanks for explaining the AVATAR It went way past my little pea brain.

Back
Top Bottom