Is this Silkie a boy or a girl??

silkiesRawesome

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 23, 2010
I'm a first time chicken owner and I've had my silkie chicks for about a month now. They're 7-8 wks old. I know its still kind of early to tell, but just wondering what people's thoughts are about gender??

Also any tips on socialization?? They want nothing to do with me!
sad.png

58444_003.jpg

58444_004.jpg

58444_005.jpg

58444_010.jpg

58444_007.jpg

58444_006.jpg

58444_018.jpg

These belong to my landlord and we'd love to know breed and gender opinions on them as well (horrible pics, sorry).
58444_001.jpg

58444_002.jpg

Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

Your babies are beautiful!! I wish I could help on your question. I am not sure but they may be still too young to tell who is what. But a lot of members her have a lot of great experience with Silkies..pretty new to them myself.

I have a 5 month old pair, and I really still do not know if they are roo or a hen?? My silkies are a bit skiddish, as are most birds. Spend time with them, just sitting with them and talking to them helps( I actually love it, kinda "someone to listen" lol) And of corse handle them as I know you are!! Treats never hurt..mine love ham, cheese and pasta! It can take some time, but as they grow you will find them more trusting. They are irresistible!
love.gif

As for the other pics, the black and white one in the top possible Barred Rock, the others I do not know, but they are really pretty!!

Welcome !!
woot.gif

Thanks Scuba!
big_smile.png

Aren't they great?!? My first set of chicks and I already adore them! I guess we'll just have to wait and see who starts laying. Would love to see yours if you feel like posting pics!

Zuhal?

Those cuties look familiar!!!
welcome-byc.gif

ETA- the black and white one looks like a barred rock, the one next to it looks like a black sex-link and the last one looks like a cross of maybe an easter egger and polish. Not sure on that last one though.

Last edited:
Quote:
I did!! YAY!! I edited my last post, but I forgot to add that they look like hens to me (the land lords birds)

I need to do more reaserch on silkies myself, I think all mine are girls- but as a fellow BYC'er has in their signature line- "Until it crows, one never knows"!! I am paraphrasing that, so if I got it wrong, my apologies to the author.
wink.png

I dont have pics up of my girls yet. I usually only post pics when I have an issue or question so I dont use up all the picture storage space. I really need to take some recent pics, all my chickens are getting sooo big!

What are your girls' names again?

Or see who starts crowing!!
lol.png

This website is a goldmine of information. I never would have attempted to hatch my own eggs until...I found this place!! And somehow my chickens went from 8 to
ep.gif
40...and still counting!!
th.gif
Tons of information, and great members...read all you can, the good stuff and the bad. I am hooked, have 6 Showgirl eggs in my homemade incubator ( again thank you BYC members!), and hoping for another good hatch!
jumpy.gif

55327_hatchcrazy2.jpg
This is my most recent hatch, from my own flock, a bunch of mixes and mutts but we love em all
love.gif

Im just guessing. But for the black one, im assuming all 4 pics are of the same bird, is male. White one female, not sure on 6th pic, and the last maybe male.
hu.gif
just guessing lol and going by what some people use to try and guess gender, males have the top feathers slanted back and females with a pom-pom poofy feathered head. But idk if it really works, just have to wait and see.
big_smile.png
I have 2 silkies at almost 3 months and I still have no idea what they are lol.

Back
Top Bottom