Is this something to be concerned about?

Isaiah53

Songster
Jan 8, 2018
Osoyoos BC Canada
I have a rooster and a hen that have what looks like a round cyst between their toes. Doesn't seem to bother them. Wondering if this is common, abnormal but benign or something to be concerned about?

20181019_165951.jpg
20181019_165940.jpg

Have you never noticed this in them up until now?

It’s possible that it’s “bumblefoot”, Which is when
A tiny puncture wound or scratch creates an entry site for a staph infection, eventually becoming an abscess. In chickens an abscess isn’t usually liquid-y goop like it is with a dog or cat or us.

The material inside a chicken abscess is often ( but not always) more like solid cheese or even wax.

Would you mind taking a photo of the underneath (sole) of each of their feet?

I'll try to get a picture. My husband is beng sentimental, these guys (plus 2 more) should have been culled last January because of a chronic respiratory infection. They've been separated from the rest of the flock since January. And roam our backyard as pets now. It may be difficult to get them, but I'll try.

Last edited:
Unless you are following full quarantine protocol, they will still transmit the disease to the rest of the flock.

It does appear that they have bumblefoot; look at the sole of the foot, as @staceyj suggests. You may see a black 'plug' which will make extracting the impaction easier; I believe I can see one in the first image, at the top right of the impaction. Soak the area with epsom salt solution and then attempt to remove the plug with fine tweezers before packing with antiseptic ointment. If there is no plug, an incision may be necessary.

The raised scales on their legs could also indicate scaly leg mite, so I would apply a liberal coat of vaseline to create a seal and smother any mites; repeat weekly for a few months until you have broken the life-cycle.

This does look like bumblefoot. I know that inside there is a piece, looks like a corn kernal, and that is what is causing the infection. You would have to remove it, doing surgery. You can do this by your self. I suggest looking it up on youtube, because i can't explain all the details. Good luck!

So far the others in the main flock (80+) are healthy without any respiratory illnesses. Though the vet believes two had died of Marek's disease 4 weeks ago, no other chickens have died.

I did check their feet and yes there's a hard plug of dirt. I'll remove it from their feet, and all 4 will be put down by the end of the week. Sad, but I agree, it's a risk to the rest of the flock and I'm sure I've been "lucky" this past 10 months.

I have a hen with about 3 on one foot! It does appear to bother her though. We have given her antibiotics and it has seemed to help a little bit.

If you are planning to cull the birds, I would not remove the impaction. It will leave a hole which needs treating with antiseptic daily to prevent reinfection, and if the birds are going to be culled then it will just cause them upset for nothing.

I am sorry that you have suffered illness in your flock, and I hope that the main flock remain healthy.

@Chickens4Life101 It is best to remove the plug; think of it as a boil that needs squeezing. Try the method I suggest above. It is easier if you have one person to hold the bird and one to treat.

We removed bumblefoot with a sterilized razor blade when a chicken of mine had it. cleaned the foot and wrapped it up to let it heal. Chicken was fine after that. Mine was about twice as large as that. If I recall the chicken we did it too is still around she's 6 years old and hatched out some of her own chicks 6 weeks ago.

We removed bumblefoot with a sterilized razor blade when a chicken of mine had it. cleaned the foot and wrapped it up to let it heal. Chicken was fine after that. Mine was about twice as large as that. If I recall the chicken we did it too is still around she's 6 years old and hatched out some of her own chicks 6 weeks ago.

If there is no plug, a sterile razor would be ideal to create a small incision, however I would definitely stick to fine tweezers for the actual work of removing the plug, to avoid cutting anymore flesh than is absolutely necessary. Wrapping the wound is best, I agree, though very tricky to do whilst allowing for the bird's mobility. In the birds above, I do not think wrapping the area would be advisable due to its flexibility.

Back
Top Bottom