Is this sour crop or something else?

Sep 16, 2021
San Ramon, CA
One of my chickens wasn't looking well yesterday so I took her inside. Her entire backside was soaked because all her poop is completely watery. She was also drinking an excessive amount of water and would only eat when I took away the water. This morning after she drank water her crop felt very soft and squishy and she's also lost weight. Overall she doesn't seem lethargic but also not energetic. I'm not sure what this is, she was attacked by a hawk over 2 years ago and ever since her droppings have been a bit weird but not to the point of just pure liquid.

How is she doing?

Having egg white(?) come out of the vent, I'd start her on Extra Calcium asap, she may be having difficulty expelling a shell membrane.

You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

How is she doing?

Having egg white(?) come out of the vent, I'd start her on Extra Calcium asap, she may be having difficulty expelling a shell membrane.

You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.
I gave her a calcium tablet and put ACV in her water.
She had a couple more poops that weren't totally water and seemed alert like she wanted to get outside so I let her go back to the flock. She spent some time sunbathing but then went into the nesting box and has been in there for almost 2 hours now. I took out the eggs in the nesting box but she's still sitting inside. She did come out for treats once but returned quickly.

Attachments

• 20240525_175916.jpg
    20240525_175916.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 3
Poop looks o.k.

I'd just keep a watch on her. Keep us with the Calcium for a full 5 days.

Sounds like she may be having a hard time expelling a soft shelled egg, but hard to know.

Do check her crop to see that it's emptying overnight too.

Back
Top Bottom