Is this still an active group?

GrammaJan

Hatching
Sep 10, 2015
I am only seeing info from 2011 - I have a relatively urgent question about my Indian Runner drake that is a little embarrassing so I dont want to post it until I am sure this is the right group to ask.
1f633.png

Okay- heres one for the books! Please dont laugh too hard at me - I am learning about this stuff on the fly.
I have only 3 Runners, 2 are male. Tonight I saw 1 male dragging his (penis)??????? It was caked with dried mud. Heres the crazy part - I washed all the dirt off because I was afraid that if he retracted it with all of that on him, infection would follow. But he never retracted it. Has anyone seen this before?? I have no idea what to do.

It's called prolapsed phallus, and you are doing the right thing.

It can become quite serious - so please do not be embarrassed.

Keeping it clean, and trying to get him to retract it is important.

Some time in a tub of lukewarm water may help him pull himself together (it is a challenge to remain completely clinical about this, I apologize).

He may need to have a few days away from the female - hormones can affect this situation.

You may also need to put something like KY jelly on it to keep the tissue from drying out - if the tissue dries or gets infected, then it's really serious and it may need to be cut. Yikes. That's a job for the vet.

If it doesn't go back in in a couple of days, if possible I'd get him to a vet.

Dang, I am really concerned now. The very tip appeared quite dry. I think I will call around to see if any vet in my area will treat ducks. Till then, I will keep trying to keep it clean, in the hope that he will retract it.

Thank you so much for the info- what a crazy thing!!

See if you can get ahold of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks - it includes mention of this condition. I really would encourage you to let him float in lukewarm water a couple of times a day.

Back
Top Bottom