Is this style decent?

IMO, it's easier, in the Long run, to build a coop with proper ventilation and predator proofing then to modify a poorly designed coop.

Maybe ask them to build you one with the proper ventilation and roost design? If they take offense and claim to know what they're doing, walk away.

As far as the board-n-batten design and mites, I wouldn't worry about that. Plenty of that style coop around and getting rid of mites wasn't any more difficult than any other coop.
I did, they wanted over 2 grand. We just don't have that.

I did, they wanted over 2 grand. We just don't have that.
You can build a heck of a coop for 2k.
Look on CL or MP for used sheds.

I've got a 6x8 coop all ready to go with adequate ventilation for 8 chicken. Absolutely predator proof with HC over all windows and ventilation. Having a difficult time selling it and I'm only asking $500...

You can build a heck of a coop for 2k.
Look on CL or MP for used sheds.

I've got a 6x8 coop all ready to go with adequate ventilation for 8 chicken. Absolutely predator proof with HC over all windows and ventilation. Having a difficult time selling it and I'm only asking $500...
I have. There's nothing that I would be able to transport and most people who I offered to pay for delivery said they wanted a few hundred or that they didn't have the vehicle to do so. I have to fit certain requirements set out by the property owner and my budget isn't big at all. This place is willing to take payments and the owner likes the way these look and they deliver for free. I've already budgeted for a run and hardwire cloth. Plus I need to level the are and it's very rocky so I found someone willing to trade time for use on a small tractor to help level things out.

For 6 birds in a colder climate I think the 8x6 would be perfectly fine (as that gives the birds the option of staying in if needed during bad weather), with the added soffit ventilation which can be easily done, and with removing the back roost.

(I know you've been trying to figure out what kind of coop would work for your situation for a while now, so since it sounds like the landowner is agreeable with this one it's probably the easiest option to go with.)

Last edited:
For 6 birds in a colder climate I think the 8x6 would be perfectly fine (as that gives the birds the option of staying in if needed during bad weather), with the added soffit ventilation which can be easily done, and with removing the back roost.

(I know you've been trying to figure out what kind of coop would work for your situation for a while now, so since it sounds like the landowner is agreeable with this one it's probably the easiest option to go with.)
I'm hoping the project can get going as we won't be able to much in the spring due to work.

My climate would suit all-metal livestock housing, but most climates don't.

Quite a lot of people keep chickens for decades and never get mites. :)
Unfortunately lots of chicken keepers wouldn't know if their chickens have mites. It's very easy here on BYC to assume all chicken keepers take the care and have the knowledge and interest that the majority of the regular posters here have.

Unfortunately lots of chicken keepers wouldn't know if their chickens have mites. It's very easy here on BYC to assume all chicken keepers take the care and have the knowledge and interest that the majority of the regular posters here have.
Isn't it still common practice to use food grade diatomaceous earth to keep coops/chickens mite free?

Back
Top Bottom