Is this style decent?

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
Is this type of coop worth it? Found one on sale and it is cheaper than buying the lumber and delivery. Plus they deliver it for free. The company offers 4x6 and 8x6.

Attachments

• IMG-3636_740x.jpg
    IMG-3636_740x.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 31
They had a few different blue prints. The site said they are about 6ft tall and here are some interior pics they provided.

I'd prefer the pic on right with one 8ft roost bar. I can always remove the back one in the first pic to accommodate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221028_082323.jpg
    Screenshot_20221028_082323.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20221028_082237.jpg
    Screenshot_20221028_082237.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
They had a few different blue prints. The site said they are about 6ft tall and here are some interior pics they provided.
A couple of points.
I wouldn't recommend buying any coop that is constructed with boards. Every cut end and every board joint is a place for mites to hide. Coops like that which you show are fine until the mites move in; after that it is easier to burn the coop and start again than it is to rid the coop of mites.
In the second set of pictures the ventilation is at roost bar level. One should aim for ventilation well above the roost bar height.
The spacing on the roost ladder is too close. Better to have seperate roost bars at the same height.

A couple of points.
I wouldn't recommend buying any coop that is constructed with boards. Every cut end and every board joint is a place for mites to hide. Coops like that which you show are fine until the mites move in; after that it is easier to burn the coop and start again than it is to rid the coop of mites.
In the second set of pictures the ventilation is at roost bar level. One should aim for ventilation well above the roost bar height.
The spacing on the roost ladder is too close. Better to have seperate roost bars at the same height.
I'd remove that back bar leaving 8ft roost in the front.

IMO, it's easier, in the Long run, to build a coop with proper ventilation and predator proofing then to modify a poorly designed coop.

Maybe ask them to build you one with the proper ventilation and roost design? If they take offense and claim to know what they're doing, walk away.

As far as the board-n-batten design and mites, I wouldn't worry about that. Plenty of that style coop around and getting rid of mites wasn't any more difficult than any other coop.

It looks similar to an Over EZ coop. If so I assume it has the same drawbacks, namely needs additional ventilation and maybe moving of the roost, depending on how close it is to the wall.
Yeppers.
Here's some good info on adding soffit venting to that type coop.
Back:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-modification-recommendations.1517556/post-25543828

Front;
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-modification-recommendations.1517556/post-25543595

Back
Top Bottom