Is this Tapeworm?

BeeSpice

In the Brooder
May 13, 2023
I could have swore i saw red mites on one roo, lice or mites on another roo, and now I see this suspicious poo. I have Verkon to disinfect the coop (unrelated), I bought liquid Permethrin last night and i have but have not used the liquid Ivermectin.

Any advice on a combination treatment for this mess? I keep a clean coop and spoiled birds, so the litany of issues is baffling me…

Any advice is appreciated. I have ACV in one waterer for each of my pens as a natural dewormer, so im hoping maybe that poo is it working?

Attachments

• B33636ED-1DFF-41E9-A306-C6C2E8583257.jpeg
    B33636ED-1DFF-41E9-A306-C6C2E8583257.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 72
  • CFD53F05-BF1E-48E4-9E82-649209896AC5.jpeg
    CFD53F05-BF1E-48E4-9E82-649209896AC5.jpeg
    977.6 KB · Views: 18
I could have swore i saw red mites on one roo, lice or mites on another roo, and now I see this suspicious poo. I have Verkon to disinfect the coop (unrelated), I bought liquid Permethrin last night and i have but have not used the liquid Ivermectin.

Any advice on a combination treatment for this mess? I keep a clean coop and spoiled birds, so the litany of issues is baffling me…

Any advice is appreciated. I have ACV in one waterer for each of my pens as a natural dewormer, so im hoping maybe that poo is it working?
That doesn't look like worms. There are several kinds of worms that can inflict chickens and none look like that. Maybe it's more a cecal poop? Have they shown any symptoms at all?

That doesn't look like a tapeworm, or any other common worm that I have seen. I've actually never seen anything that looks like that.😄

I don't have a lot of faith in ACVs ability to prevent parasites or coccidiosis. I think that parasites are too resilient. Treating with medicines is pretty simple and doesn't damage them, thankfully.

You could worm them to be sure, maybe after the mite treatment. The mite picture wasn't super clear, but I am guessing you are seeing them move around, so you can be sure that is what it is.

Do you need any help or info about treating with the permethrin or using a de-wormer?

I personally don't disinfect my coop. I think it kills the beneficial bacteria, and almost all cleaning solutions can stress their respiratory system.

I felt the same way. With my flock they get something every so often, and I just have to take care of it, and then I get a stretch with nothing for a while, it seems.

That doesn't look like worms. There are several kinds of worms that can inflict chickens and none look like that. Maybe it's more a cecal poop? Have they shown any symptoms at all?
It just looked like worms so i was worried.

How old is your bird?

What do you feed?

It looks like a lot of mucous in the poop.

If you are seeing mites or lice crawling on the bird, then treat with the Permethrin, make sure to treat all birds and the housing as well.

Ivermectin is fairly effective in treating Mites, the egg withdrawal is 30 days. Dosing can be found HERE.

If you wish to deworm your bird(s), then use an anthelminitic like Fenbendazole (Safeguard) or Albendazole (Valbazen).

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

OR

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

You can visually see lice or mites crawling on your birds. Mites are red or black in color, have 8 legs and suck blood, cause anemia and then death. Lice are off white or straw in color, have 6 legs and are more of an irritant than anything else. Closely inspect the vent area for lice eggs stuck onto feather shafts, coconut oil will remove the eggs.

The feces in the second photo shows shed intestinal lining. Generally, it is caused by coccidiosis or worms.
I'm assuming your birds are older, worm them with Valbazen. Follow the dosing instructions in Wyorp Rock's post above.

How old is your bird?

What do you feed?

It looks like a lot of mucous in the poop.

If you are seeing mites or lice crawling on the bird, then treat with the Permethrin, make sure to treat all birds and the housing as well.

Ivermectin is fairly effective in treating Mites, the egg withdrawal is 30 days. Dosing can be found HERE.

If you wish to deworm your bird(s), then use an anthelminitic like Fenbendazole (Safeguard) or Albendazole (Valbazen).

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

OR

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.
I did find mites on one roo and lice on the other. Go figure! Tis the season. They are Bantams so i dunked them in permethrin and i will follow-up with Ivermectin in a few days if necessary and then play by ear after.

Back
Top Bottom