IS THIS THE DOG TO GET--Pyrenean Shepherd ????

Appears to be a herding breed, you want to get a Livestock Guardian Breed. I just got a Great Pyrenees puppy. Love him!!
love.gif

If you are looking for a livestock guardian dog, I think you are looking for a Great Pyrenees.

In the Pyrenees mountains, the large white Great Pyrs guarded the flocks, and the little Berger des Pyrenees, called here Pyrenean Shepherds or "Pyr Sheps" for short, herded the flocks.

I am a Pyrenean Shepherd breeder and think they're a terrific breed, but they do not live with the livestock and watch over them, they involve themselves in a nosy and bossy way with all of the activities of their humans. They have good protective instincts and are excellent watch dogs and notice absolutely everything, as many herding breeds do, but their small size would not be effective against large predators. Several Pyr Shep owners have chickens as well, and their dogs are good with them, because this is a highly trainable, intuitive breed.

So...depends on what you are looking for! For herding, companionship, and absolutely for dogsports like agility, superb! Mine are great farm dogs, help with every chore, and make themselves useful in many ways, but aren't effective against any predator that isn't driven away by barking.

My dogs are related to many of the ones in those photos from the AKC site..and you can see more of them on my website www.madcap.name.
-------------------
Madcap Pyr Sheps and Irish water spaniels, and a retired border collie
Clun Forest and Shetland sheep
Lipizzan horses

Pure Great Pyrenees is what I want
Where can I get one female pup?

We have a yellow lab/greyhound mix, and she is the BEST chicken watchdog EVER. It doesn't take a "special" breed of dog, just a dog with a good temperament who learns to like the chickens!

Quote:
This is a breed I've been researching. I find them very interesting. I'll have to check out your site.

The Great Pyrs are wonderful as guardians. I highly recommend an adult rescue if you need a dog to work right away. My two have been wonderful. Good at their work and sweet funny dogs on top of working ability.

It's really not surprising that many Pyr Shep owners also have Great Pyrs, since the two breeds worked together traditionally. In fact, that's how the Pyr Sheps came to this country - Great Pyr breeders going to the French National, seeing these little dogs (the show for Pyrenean breeds is still held in the mountains, attended by the little Pyr Sheps, the Great Pyrs, a Catalan sheepdog, and. Pyrenean Mastiff), and eventually started bringing a few little sheepdogs back with him.

These days they are in demand for agility dogs, but they still excel as all around farm dogs. Most people that get them have a couple of Great Pyrs, or they have Aussies and are "downsizing", and the Pyr Shep is one of the foundation breeds for the Aussie.

The Pyr Shep has great variety, because they were originally a landrace breed. Every little valley in the Pyrenees had its own little shepherd dog, and there was not much contact between the populations until after WWII.

------------
www.madcap.name

My Mom has a pyrenean shepherd. He is a fabulous dog, like most herding breeds bonds very strongly with "his" person, but he is also great with my kids when they go to visit her. They are a herding breed and NEED to herd. More so than any dogs Ive ever seen. My mom has told me she had to work with him as a young dog to leave the cats alone,but now he does pretty good with them as long as he dosn't see anyone chasing after them h will leave them alone. She does not let him loose with poultry. He is an amazing little sheep dog though. Not a guardian dog imo

Back
Top Bottom