Is This The Truth?

When I lived in California my chickens ate olives freshly dropped from the tree with no ill effects.

I think most of those things are okay so long as they are given in small quantities, but in general I agree with the list. I've heard citrus isn't good for chickens, though, and anything fatty or salty isn't good for them.

Potatoes, bean, rice and lentils should be cooked. And never give them anything moldy or rotten or they will have problems with their crops.
I had a bag of treats that had uncooked orange lentils mixed in, & fed it to my Malays as a snack as they were growing up, & had no ill effects.

Who would feed chickens an avocado pit? And could a chicken actually eat one? I mean, really? "Oh look, a seed bigger than my head! Gulp! Oh, gag, it's stuck .... gaaaah!" Croak. Now see, we TOLD you not to feed your chickens avocado pits! You never listen! :old
Seems like I have read about a chicken eating the pit before. My mind might be running away with this but it seems like the bird died from an impaction (or maybe choking), but again, there's a chance I made that part up, unintentionally of course

On your "no" list, I find several tidbids that I do allow my birds to have without ill effect. apple core (because I feed whole apples), avocado because the neighbor's tree overhangs in my yard and the birds have access to everything that hits the ground, tuna because it's cheap here and a high quality protein supplement, COOKED pinto beans (cooks out the bad stuff)... and several other items on your list.
Some items need to be examined more closely to determine why they'd be on the no-go list (like apple cores is due to the apple seeds, which typically pass through their digestion unscathed if they're not cut seed).

Mine get meat scraps (usually egg and chicken, sometimes beef) and apple cores. I don't know if they eat the seeds or not during that, but the core isn't any different than the flesh besides being a bit firmer.

Umm, acorns, I know ducks can eat.
Whenever I give my chickens the apple core, they eat around the seeds which might be a sign that they might not like them.

Back
Top Bottom