Is this THING a White Leghorn?

pgpoultry

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Wales
This guy, the yellow one, ignore the others, was from one of those eBay scammers who sold me ' Fertile Black Naked Neck eggs'........well one out of six was fertile and this was the result.

IMG_5940.jpg

IMG_5943.jpg

Big, belligerent, and much loved by my daughter, so he is here to stay.

Is he Leghorn? Never had Leghorns, so wouldn't recognise one easily.

Last edited:
Nah, he's something else. His legs look pink from here, and white birds don't have yellow on them like he does. Also they have white earlobes.

I'd say he is some sort of mutt, possibly a sex-linked rooster.

I did report the guy and this roo is probably a fertile egg from supermarket eggs, I think. I didn't really think he would be a pure bred anything under the circumstances!

He looks a bit orpington-y to me.

It's such a shame that people like that exist. It ruins the experience for everyone. If there are any breeders around Sheffield that you like, I'm sure we wouldn't mind picking the eggs up and delivering to you for the cost of diesel.

He is a (hatchery type) Orpington.
The Yellow in him is most likely a combination the sun and feeding a feed with a high amount of Yellow Corn in it.

Chris

Wales is pretty rural in the most part and there are quite a lot of good poultry breeders. However, Naked Necks are rare and the eggs came from eBay for this reason. They came from a good distance away, and were a gift from my daughter. She loved the first NNs I had bought and wanted to mix the blood lines.....not to Orpington/mutt, though!

He was one of the fastest and the yellowest chicks out of the shell I have ever seen......not much more than 10 minutes from pip to very heavily feathered wet little mutt.

He has the largest 'vocabulary' of any of my birds....from purring noises, to loud surprised sounding OOOOOOhs and mumbles, cackles and, of course, very loud crowing. He is rarely ever silent and we always can find him because of his incessant chatter and his sulphur yellow feathers.

Punkyrooster...I wish you were right about the sun making him yellow.....we don't see too much of that here.

Anyway Yellow Peril (more commonly known as YP) is lucky that he is my daughter's favourite.

Back
Top Bottom