Is this too much for hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by lowcountrypoultry, Oct 28, 2008.

1. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to buy some Black Copper Maran hatching eggs.

The breeder I am working with wants 80-100$ for 6+ eggs.

Is that much money really worth 6+ eggs?

And by the time spring comes, will they still be rare enough to go for that much when mine start laying?

I am looking into getting some, but don't know if its worth it.

Any advice would help.

Thanks!

-Austin

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I would not pay that much for 6 egg maybe for 1 dozen but not 6. I got my chicks for $5 and they are blue and black copper marans from great lines and a good breeders stock. I GOT A GREAT DEAL I THINK

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have seen some who have them for $65 for a dozen. I think that is way too much especially when you will be lucky to get one or two to hatch.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I personally think it is to much. Unfortunately that is what some are getting for them. I personally could not charge that much`[​IMG]

5. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    MPO,
    Thats way too much for 6 eggs, tell em to keep em. The person is just trying to make quick greedy bucks on people.
    Now if it were 12 LIVE chicks, then it might be worth it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I know nothing about Marans or their value, however it seems one of the primary considerations you want to make on purchasing Marans is the color of the egg. That seems to be the driver in the value of this stock. Of course, breed standard is an important factor as well. Have you viewed pics of the eggs and birds? Price is not an easy thing to assess. Also, do you plan to breed them to perfection or just want pets. This would also help determine price value.

Jody

7. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i paid $65 for a dz eggs and got 15 eggs. shipped eggs r always a gamble don't spend more than u r willing to loose. [​IMG]

8. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

9. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I couldn't pay that much for a dozen eggs, never mind six, nor would I charge that much, not even if I had eggs that were 6 or7 on the color scale, which he probably doesn't have. Incubating is too much of a gamble, and that's a lot of money to throw away if the post office runs the box through the xray machine.

10. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Like Jody said, you need to see photographs of the parent stock, find out where the birds came from and what the color is of the eggs you will receive. Quality Marans with 6 - 7 - 8 egg colors are rare and valuable. Personally I think it is a little high for a half DZ but I would need more info from the breeder before I dismissed them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by