Is this welsummer hen molting?

davi

Songster
Jun 26, 2012
Sorry if this is in the wrong category. But I have 2 questions. (1), I posted threads a few months ago something about if she was a bit too under size. And thier breed. They siad it was a welsummer hen but she doesen't look like one to me. She looks a lot like a old english game hen. She is smallest, has the longest legs, and she is the least fat one. She can really run for her size.

Question (2). She has lost most of her head & neck feathers the past few weeks including most of the tail feathers. Her body feathers are really rough and messed - up. This is a little to late for molting, isn't it? All she has now on her head is a patch of pins sticking out including the other ones giving her hard looks. If you need a picture, please let me know.

Mine are finishing up a molt now, with some already through it, and one who is a real mess, with new growth on her head and neck only. Lots of people on here comment that it seems silly that they choose cold months to molt -- but they often do. If you research molting a little, you'll find that it normally starts at the head and neck, and then moves to the breast, thighs and back, then to the wings and tail. So I am wondering if her loss of tail feathers might have a different cause -- or perhaps her molt is just not as noticeable in the main part of her body. Some always seem to molt "harder" than others, losing more feathers and looking more ragged than others.

I see now, thanks for your help! But will I need to keep her in the hen house If it gets to cold? Pin feathers won't keep her very warm. But if she gets too lonely then I would put her sibling (Naughty) in to keep her company but would Naughty peck it?

I'm not sure, but this would be my opinion..... I'd let her pick whether she wants to go in or out. Having more room might actually keep them from wanting to pick at her pin feathers. I could be wrong, though.

Back
Top Bottom