Is this what’s left of an egg?

OK you all can call me weird.
I had a good idea of the pullet that laid the above egg. I felt sorry for them, and turned them out at 2:30 vs 530-600 pm. Immediately the one that I thought laid this egg separated from the flock. Ten minutes later I found her back out in the hay. Followed her around as she desperately looked for a new nest spot..... 8-10 times I rousted her out of the newest spot. Try 11 was back in the coop. I haven’t so much as looked in the window. She’s been in there 35 minutes now..... maybe I herded chickens correctly for once and she will stay laying in coop. Wish me luck!!!!

PS Do I have to do this for each pullet????

A lot of people will put golf balls or fake eggs in the nests to encourage them to lay in the desired location. Once they all start laying those can be removed.
The first is always the hardest. The others should follow her lead so you don't have to herd them.

Some pullets learn right off the bat to lay in the nest boxes by watching the older hens do it. My last year sex-link pullets picked it right up.

Other pullets in the past have been dunces and tried to lay right next to the nest boxes on the floor of the coop. When I see that happening, (yes, I can get anal about my chickens, too), I pick her up and place her in the nest box.

While fake eggs can be a big hint to new layers, capitalizing on hens' eagerness to lay where others have laid eggs, sometimes you just have to get hands on.

Then there is the rare lazy hen that doesn't give a cluck, and if she feels the need to lay an egg, she will just drop it wherever she happens to be at the moment. That would be my seven-year old Welsummer Molly. She's capable of laying in the nest. But only if she's in the mood. I gave up on her years ago. You can't teach an old hen new tricks.

If they go from free ranging to the coop/run to lay I’ll be ecstatic!

My worry is eggs here there and everywhere. I enjoy my chickens, but they have a job to do (eat bugs and give me eggs)

I’ll keep them restricted to coop/run until they decide to start laying. Will kicking them out to range around 5 be helpful or harmful? I have to let my broody and four 5 week old chicks back in somehow.

1A990836-28F5-4554-8D27-63614DD75008.jpeg

Success!!!

If they go from free ranging to the coop/run to lay I’ll be ecstatic!

My worry is eggs here there and everywhere. I enjoy my chickens, but they have a job to do (eat bugs and give me eggs)

I’ll keep them restricted to coop/run until they decide to start laying. Will kicking them out to range around 5 be helpful or harmful? I have to let my broody and four 5 week old chicks back in somehow.
Did you say eggstatic? Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Our hens just took to the nests right away and laid there. Occasionally one will be on the floor of the coop. Recently, some hens go lay in another, smaller coop we use to introduce new birds.

It's been a walk in the park compared to your troubles. Are your hens production breeds?

They’re (6) dominant coppers and (4)sapphire gems. All at that magic 19 week mark. Broody barnyard mutt hen who is raising (2) silver laced Wyandotte’s, (1) sapphire gem and (1) red sexlink. Top it all off with a 18-22 week old Bar Rock cockerel. Culled what was left of the last flock except the reliably broody Bertha.

So far they’ve been great. . . Just fighting egg laying issues. We will get it straightened out and all will be right in the world. Next time I will be leaving the old
Girls in with the new girls until they show them how and where to lay.

They free range most of the time. Great with watching for overhead predators. Tend to run and hide vs crouch and freeze... yet I can walk among them without them freaking out.

So far it’s 9.5/10.

Back
Top Bottom