Is this what they mean by a "favorite nest box"? :)

I have 7 hens and 2 nest boxes, all of the eggs are always in one box. The other one is basically used as a litter box. My barred rock usually will only lay on the ground under the water feeder. And the leghorn is always sitting on the divider between the two boxes. Everyone calls me crazy chicken lady but it's only because I have crazy chickens. lol

hu.gif

Ah! I only have a small flock of 4, 2 hens, 2 chicks, so I don't have to worry about this! the drawing was hilarious!!! My chickens totally have their order worked out! Maggie, then Penny, who sits on both of them for about 10 minutes as if she was broody then gets up and is fine!
lol.png

I have 4 roosters/cockerels, 8 hens/pullets, and 5 ducks. I also have 9 nest boxes and a modified shelf for if they don't want to go in a nest box but want to get off the floor. Oh and I can't forget the "chicken ladder" that my son and his friend made for them the other day lol, boys are so easily entertained.

The 3 hens are always broody and either in the same box or they are sharing 2 boxes stealing eggs from each other. The rooster, and cockerels are very nice and each sleep in their own nest box... the pullets... well they sleep on top of the nest boxes or in between them bickering cause someone got a toe in the eye. The ducks sleep in their little corner pooping on the walls, but I find an egg or two (they aren't all laying yet) in the first nest box everyday.

The pictures are great! Cracked me up!

I had the same thing going on. There was even some fighting! I tried using dummy eggs and that helped until I left them over night for a couple of days and then I had to break a hen of her broodiness! If it is not one thing it is another!! LOL

I only have 4 hens old enough to lay. We have 4 brand new nest boxes and they wouldn't use any of them. They preferred the turkey hens dog house. She let them lay behind her in a smaller nest they made in the hay. When she went broody and started sitting on eggs though...she was no longer willing to share. Now they lay in one nest box of the 4.

Back
Top Bottom