Is this wry tail?

swamphiker

Crowing
Feb 24, 2020
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
This is our ~14 week old production blue pullet, Blue (creative, I know). She looked completely normal until about 8 weeks, when her tail started to look crooked. When I pick her up, it feels like the right side of her hip/pelvis is higher up than the left side. Her gait is a bit funny although I wouldn't call it a limp, and she tends to hold her head to the left, probably to help with balance. I never saw any evidence of injury, although she is low on the pecking order in the flock. She's a bit slower than our other pullets, but otherwise eats, drinks, poops, scratches and acts like a normal happy chicken.

Is this wry tail or perhaps a more serious skeletal abnormality? We have no plans to breed her, so I'm not concerned about that. Has anyone had a chicken that looks like this? Do you think she will be able to lay eggs normally? We won't cull her unless she is clearly suffering or has serious laying problems.

EDIT: Here is a video: https://youtu.be/ZAxvplRyRYs

IMG_20200610_160036_8.jpg
IMG_20200610_160050_4.jpg

Last edited:
This is our ~14 week old production blue pullet, Blue (creative, I know). She looked completely normal until about 8 weeks, when her tail started to look crooked. When I pick her up, it feels like the right side of her hip/pelvis is higher up than the left side. Her gait is a bit funny although I wouldn't call it a limp, and she tends to hold her head to the left, probably to help with balance. I never saw any evidence of injury, although she is low on the pecking order in the flock. She's a bit slower than our other pullets, but otherwise eats, drinks, poops, scratches and acts like a normal happy chicken.

Is this wry tail or perhaps a more serious skeletal abnormality? We have no plans to breed her, so I'm not concerned about that. Has anyone had a chicken that looks like this? Do you think she will be able to lay eggs normally? We won't cull her unless she is clearly suffering or has serious laying problems.

View attachment 2187177View attachment 2187179
Can you post a video?

Back
Top Bottom