Is three weeks too young to sex a chick?

Nov 18, 2023
The Sooner State
This is Aaron, our hybrid black star whom we hatched on October 30th or 31st. I keep posting pics of chicks to see if anyone can figure out if they’re cockerels or pullets even tough we checked their wings at a day old, and Aaron’s said he was a boy. But is three weeks too young? Is Aaron a cockerel or a pullet??
IMG_0235.jpeg
IMG_0236.jpeg
IMG_0237.jpeg

Aaron is too young, and there's nothing on it that's pointing towards cockerem
Okay thanks. I’m just impatient to know for sure if they’re hens or Roos!! Why cant it just be so easy to tell from a young age? Lol! We’ve bought multiple pullets from Atwoods that turned into Roosters!! Has that happened to you? It’s so frustrating haha! But what would you say is an old enough age to sex? Six weeks? Five?

What breed is Aaron? You say Black Star, but you hatched him? If he actually is a Black Star, those are sex-linked hybrids, and Aaron is definitely a pullet.

Agreed. I'm just basing this on the fact that saying hybrid black star, is like saying hybrid twice. OP has referred to some of
The use of the word "hybrid" is confusing though. Black stars are hybrids already 😵‍💫 🤷‍♀️ Based on the OP's other posts, I'm guessing they mean mixed breed.

their other mix breed birds as hybrids, so for that reason, I too, think they mean mix breed

Back
Top Bottom