is wiki right about buttonquail?

thecityman

Songster
11 Years
Jun 14, 2010
Orlinda, TN
I recently noticed the wikipedia entry for Button quail has 2 claims which surprised me. One is that eggs hatch in 12-13 days. Is that true? The other claim is that only male's sit on eggs and raise the babies. That, too, is the first time I've heard that. Is it true? Just curious.
kevin

Well, it's probably correct about it's subject matter, which is the true button quails.

HOWEVER, what we call "button quail" are not the same birds. True button quails are in their own family, and it's my understanding that they are virtually non-existent in captivity in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_quail

The bird we all keep and call a Button Quail is more properly known as a Chinese Blue Breasted Quail, Chinese Painted Quail, or King Quail (the last name is what they call them in Australia, where it is native in the more tropical parts of the continent).

Here is the wiki on that one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Painted_Quail

Incubation for me has been 18-22 days, and there is quite a lag between the first and last hatchers in a batch of eggs.

I don't know which parent would sit on them. I have heard its rare for them to go broody and sit on a clutch in captivity, but it does happen at times, as evidenced by some of the posts right here on this forum/

That is correct. True Button quail are hemipodes. They have 3 toes...Our beloved button quail we call only got the name because of what the chicks look like when they are little
smile.png
I usually refer to them as CBBQ (Chinese Blue Breasted Quail) but it causes confusion so I go with the flow
big_smile.png

If you want a really good book on Button Quail, I highly suggest buying a book written by my dear friend Jodi McDonald
Title: A Closer Look at Button Quail

This Book will clear up any question you ever had about this little birds
smile.png

Quote:
Their incubation for Chinese blue breasted quail (AKA Button Quail) is actually 16 days. There isn't usually that big of a lag time unless you are using a stillair incubator but that's not cause of them it's cause of incubation practices.

The female iblends into her enviroment much better and sits most of the time but I have heard of males helping.

Wiki you can post anything! There are lots of sights better than Wiki on these quail in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom