Is your significant other supportive of your chicken hobby?

Tyaloria

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
Worcester UK
Hi everyone :)

Referring to the title, does your SO support you and your chickens?

My husband doesnt like them at all! (But he will eat the eggs)
He has put a ban on a bigger coop and gets cross when the kids and I talk about them.
His behaviour is even stranger than the chickens shenanigans!

I am in same boat. Hubby acts like he hates them. I love when I catch him peeking in the brooder. He said no way to rooster. I got one in my pullet order a few years ago. he threw a fit. now he is quite fond of the boys. Of course he won't admit it. Its taken a few years and some nasty arguments, but he's coming around

Hi everyone
smile.png

Referring to the title, does your SO support you and your chickens?

My husband doesnt like them at all! (But he will eat the eggs)
He has put a ban on a bigger coop and gets cross when the kids and I talk about them.
His behaviour is even stranger than the chickens shenanigans!
At first my boyfriend didn't understand my fascination with my chickens; and then I brought home some silkies. At first he pretended he wasn't interested but the little fluff balls have gotten to him. As long as I don't talk about them too often he puts up with them. After all my chicken hobby is a lot cheaper than his hobbies.

My DH was hesitant at first, but is in love with our feathered babies. He's the last one to peek at them at bedtime and the first to check on them in the morning. He only gets uptight when I start talking coop expansion LOL!!
gig.gif

My husband is o.k. with the chickens as long as I buy all the feed and I do all the work! He likes to eat the eggs.He likes a coupIe of the hens that like to be held all the time.I want to expand but he hasn't come around YET!
fl.gif
I hope he comes around by next spring because I'm hatching.

After much moaning and groaning at him and pointing out that his hobbies are more expensive than his - as bluedragonfly said - I have gained free access to the garden to create another coop that I will need for all the new hatchlings! Success but it was hard work - he's a miserable sod sometimes!
He was brow beaten by the children as well :)

After much moaning and groaning at him and pointing out that his hobbies are more expensive than his - as bluedragonfly said - I have gained free access to the garden to create another coop that I will need for all the new hatchlings! Success but it was hard work - he's a miserable sod sometimes!
He was brow beaten by the children as well
smile.png
Woohoo! Boys and their toys; they help me win many of my financial arguments. :) I have 7 eggs in the incubator due to hatch on May 2... Time to start working on getting my SO to build me a nice brooder. :)

Kinda been like Congress around here trying to meet half way on the chickens.I can have three legally in town which is all I want enough for baking, and egg salad ( eggs give me wicked gas so just him and the kid that eats them). Not like he would be responsible for them or the cost, luckie when he checks out the garden once in while he'll give the does a treat. Needles to say I'am getting three chicks have to cull three of my rabbits. Now if I could only get the MAN OF THE HOUSE to fix the bathroom sink!

I think when I met my current partner a year ago, the fact that I had chickens was a selling point. He's currently outside rerouting some of the backyard fencing to make a space for the meat rabbits we're getting and to keep the chickens out of the garden better than I was accomplishing. The only restriction he's put on my coop expansion is waiting till we get the rabbits settled so he can help me with it! A few weeks ago I wondered out loud if I should cull my non-laying hen and he got totally offended because she's his friend!

My ex husband was much different. He banned my babies to the garage and kicked the chickens out as soon as talk of divorce started. Thankfully, I had enough friends with chickens to take them in till I could settle them into the new place. No way I was getting rid of my ladies!

My husband was very supportive, and excited for this new adventure in our lives, but he made it clear the chickens & ducks would be my responsibility (with the help of our daughter, who will be 4yrs-old next month). Since we've had the birds in our yard, my husband has been much more hands-on than he initially said he would be. I think he kind of likes 'em.
tongue.png

If he wakes up before we do, he'll go and let the ladies out of their coop for the morning, and refresh their water & food as needed. He even gets excited when he finds an egg to bring in with him. I've also caught him researching different aspects of raising chickens & ducks (what you can and cannot feed them, how to tell if they are male or female, etc). At this point, I think he's as invested as I am...just as I knew he would be.
wink.png

- TieDyeMommy

Back
Top Bottom