Is your significant other supportive of your chicken hobby?

My dear husband is tolerant of all my animal obsessions - and enjoys the fact that they often bring him excuses to build stuff
big_smile.png
(plus, he's a softie at heart and I often catch him loving on the furred and feathered "kids") I, in turn, am supportive of/tolerate his many hobbies.

Last edited:
funny story. the wife HATES dogs. i don't care either way really. but i was wanting to get our kids a pet of some sort and apparently a dog was out of the question. one day i was reading the local paper and there was an article saying chickens were legal in the city limits. i said "well if we can't have a dog, i guess i can get us some CHICKENS". her fatal mistake was responding "well, chickens wouldn't be that bad". so, she and the kids went out of town for a week to grandma's and when they came back... FOUR CHICKENS AND A COOP!!!!! she still doesn't like them (all EIGHT of them now, heheheheheh) but she does tolerate them and eat the eggs.

Last edited:
I'm glad in not the only one with spouse problems. He is going to be quite amazed that our 6 silkie eggs have turned into 18.... Or Extremly cross!
He says he 'doesn't want the garden turned into a chicken metropolis' LOL

He wasn't super supportive at first, but I've always wanted a farm and settled for a suburban type house (outside of city limits)... So if it will work on our 1/3 acre I will get it. We have 4 rabbits, 2 ducks (and 6 more soon), and just got 5 silkie chicks today... we also have 4 quail but we are eating them if they don't begin laying within a week because so far neither of us like them and for how long we have had them they should have already started laying!!

He wasn't super supportive at first, but I've always wanted a farm and settled for a suburban type house (outside of city limits)... So if it will work on our 1/3 acre I will get it. We have 4 rabbits, 2 ducks (and 6 more soon), and just got 5 silkie chicks today... we also have 4 quail but we are eating them if they don't begin laying within a week because so far neither of us like them and for how long we have had them they should have already started laying!!

Congrats on your hatch!

I hope all your others babies are ok too
2665.png

Well, my hubby is a wonderful, supportive guy but he gets all bent out of shape when it comes to animals. I would love to have a dog but he hates them. I brought a pup home once and he made me give it away. On the other hand, he got me a kitten six years ago, adopted a death row kittie from the animal shelter two years ago, tamed a wild kitten last year, and brought home a tomcat a couple months ago! Apparently he loves cats! Other animals he's iffy on. When it came to the chickens he was aloof. When I would talk about getting some he didn't shut me down but he didn't start building a coop either. When I brought some home he said, "Well, at least you brought home something useful." He wouldn't really have anything to do with them for the first day or so. Then his curiosity got the best of him and he started checking in on them and caring for them. He watches and feeds them a lot now. He doesn't talk about killing them anymore lol.

My hubby loves our girls. He takes care of them every morning and puts them to bed every night. It might be because we have four sons and the chickens and our two cats are our only "daughters". In fact, last week it was him who was begging to go to the farm store for baby chicks. He promised he would get the new coop built in time for them to be introduced into the flock, so I said yes. :) Our chickens are all around loved by Ll of us and are probably spoiled.

Back
Top Bottom