Isa Brown-6 weeks old. Hen or roo?

Mrs123Wife

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2017
Hi all, I have three Isa Brown chicks, all 6 weeks old (as well as 12 other, different breeds). I am trying to determine if Ellie is a hen or roo. Betty and Addy are both showing a bit more brown/red color, and Ellie has more white. All three have similar combs. Any tips?

First pic is Betty. Second is Addy. Last is Ellie. 1495403898571-118546687.jpg

Attachments

• 1495403979253-1274637980.jpg
    1495403979253-1274637980.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 341
  • 14954040277771778407665.jpg
    14954040277771778407665.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 331
Since Isa's are sex links, they look different right from the start - pullets are various red shades, and cockerels are white, sometimes with red splashes.

If your birds are hatchery breed sex links, then Ellie is a boy.

I disagree.

That is a very light one but it isn't white with red patches bleeding through. The whole head/neck/chest is light red as is the back peeking out from under the wings.

That's a pullet if it came from a hatchery. It will gain color as it molts in another week or two but there is some variation in red/white proportion and she'll never be as dark as your darkest chick.

I disagree.

That is a very light one but it isn't white with red patches bleeding through. The whole head/neck/chest is light red as is the back peeking out from under the wings.

That's a pullet if it came from a hatchery. It will gain color as it molts in another week or two but there is some variation in red/white proportion and she'll never be as dark as your darkest chick.
Agreed, not only is the color not right for a male BSL it would have a much pinker/redder comb. Since BSLs are hybrids you will get one here and there that isn't perfectly like described. A better picture would help confirm.

BTW, I mentioned if it came from a hatchery for good reason. Some people get ISA brown hens and an ISA brown rooster, breed them, and then sell the offspring as ISA brown chicks. The sex linked color coding system is lost after the first generation. And, their misuse of the name is fraud as it is a licensed brand, not a breed.

I disagree.

X2....if these are hatchery direct and not isaxisa home bred birds, all are pullets.

Back
Top Bottom