ISA Brown chicks????????????????

The two I had were the best chickens ever. Great temperment, loving, sweet, but unfortunatly I have lots both to preditors. I would love to get more but no one around here is carrying them. I got some Golden comets and hope they are close to the temperment of my Isa's. My Rhode Islands were all suppose to be Isa's... so much for ordering my chicks to help fix the feedstore mess ups. I actually dont like my RIR's temperments. They are broody and pushy. I"d take Isa's over all my chicken breeds. I also like my easter eggers. I'm just suprised at the temperment difference of my (was 5) now 4 RIR's versus my Isa's for being the same "kind" of bird.

People repeat here over and over that the ISA is a cross between RIR x RIW. That simply doesn't tell the story. I've seen the parent stock of the ISA. The Rooster looks likes a production Red, but it is the product of 30 years of selective, genetic breeding. The hen is white, but frankly, doesn't have much in common with the Rhode Island White anymore.

The ISA hen only weighs 4 lbs. The typical RIW or RIR hen weighs well over 6 lbs.

Fred's Hens :

People repeat here over and over that the ISA is a cross between RIR x RIW. That simply doesn't tell the story. I've seen the parent stock of the ISA. The Rooster looks likes a production Red, but it is the product of 30 years of selective, genetic breeding. The hen is white, but frankly, doesn't have much in common with the Rhode Island White anymore.

The ISA hen only weighs 4 lbs. The typical RIW or RIR hen weighs well over 6 lbs.

I agree. If it were just a RIRxRIW it wouldn't account for 95% of the commercial brown egg market. All the farms would just be using "red sexlinks".​

Back
Top Bottom