ISA Brown hen has all the signs of being rooster except color

KendraLeigh

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2020
Hello All,

EDIT: I've posted a picture below!

I have a 12 week old ISA Brown hen (all orange with a bit of white) who I would 100% identify as a rooster if it weren't for her color. She has long spindle neck feathers, is growing in thin saddle feathers, has a huge red comb and wattle, is twice as big as my barred rock and australorp hens, acts very dominant, and is somewhat aggressive (she's the only one who will peck me when I pick her up). I can try to post a photo but trust me when I say that she is basically a rooster who has the coloring of a hen. She seems so much like a rooster that I'm nearly at the point of giving her away for being a rooster (can't have roos in my neighborhood).

I've heard of dominant hens acting like and even becoming physically like roosters and crowing (she isn't crowing at this point). Is this what's happening, or did I somehow get the rare-to-impossible ISA roo who has hen coloring? It's stressing me out every day.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello All,

I have a 12 week old ISA Brown hen (all orange with a bit of white) who I would 100% identify as a rooster if it weren't for her color. She has long spindle neck feathers, is growing in thin saddle feathers, has a huge red comb and wattle, is twice as big as my barred rock and australorp hens, acts very dominant, and is somewhat aggressive (she's the only one who will peck me when I pick her up). I can try to post a photo but trust me when I say that she is basically a rooster who has the coloring of a hen. She seems so much like a rooster that I'm nearly at the point of giving her away for being a rooster (can't have roos in my neighborhood).

I've heard of dominant hens acting like and even becoming physically like roosters and crowing (she isn't crowing at this point). Is this what's happening, or did I somehow get the rare-to-impossible ISA roo who has hen coloring? It's stressing me out every day.

Thank you!
Hi welcome to BYC! Can you post some pictures?

Hello All,

Thank you!
It's not a true ISA then.
Agree photos will help.
But it sounds like you have a mixed breed cockerel.

Here a picture of her, with the australorp behind her. Purchased the chicks from Rural King.
chicken.jpg

Not to worry any and all things are a possibility . Let nature take it's course! If it is a rooster and you didn't want one show him the way to the roasting pot , Re -home him with mashed potatoes and gravy, sell him , give him away .
I could be interested in the pot option. Not sure! It's something I'd like to explore (raising my own chickens for meat). I have found I am not getting emotionally attached to the chickens as much as I thought. My question is, are there services that will do the butchering? I am not ready to tackle that part yet.

Back
Top Bottom