Isn't rhubarb poisonous????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by curliet, Jun 15, 2009.

1. curliet

curliet Songster

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    My chickens won't leave the rhubarb alone, and have stripped all the leaves off of every single plant. They gather around it like it's the buffet at a chinese restaurant and act like it's the best thing ever. Is this going to have some bad effect on them? So far, they seem ok, but...I thought rhubarb leaves were poisonous.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:My first day as a chicken owner, the 3 hens ate every leaf off my rhubarb too. I thought chicken ownership was gonna last hours at best. It turned out to have no effect. Rhubarb leaves are toxic, but apparently not so much to chickens.

Imp

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My neighbors' chickens ate the rhubarb down to the ground. It came back, they survived, and the neighbors fenced it in.

4. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Songster

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I'm thinking it's only toxic to humans. Not 100% sure though. Ok, not just humans, but still researching chickens. Probably like a lot of things, some are affected by some toxins and other animals aren't.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I think the leaves are toxic to humans. The stems though.. MMMM! Have a nice tart taste. I like to eat them. [​IMG]

6. ManyQuestions

ManyQuestions In the Brooder

May 20, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Dont know for sure about chickens, but a human would have to eat approx 300 full size rhubarb leaves to show illness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: