ISO Chicken Genetics 101 - So Confused

You are very welcome my friend... :frow

I agree with that, as much as I would like genetics to be as close as possible to pure science like physics, but that awesome molecule called DNA is an ever evolving living machine

Yep. Now, if that stupid DNA would just behave itself, we could speak in absolutes all the time. Would be so much simpler! :D

Yep. Now, if that stupid DNA would just behave itself, we could speak in absolutes all the time. Would be so much simpler! :D
True but where's the fun in that?
I see pop ups as mother natures way of reminding us just how little we know compared to her.
I rely on having known genes in my projects. Keeps things simple and predictable.
When a pop up shows up its like WTH is that? Where did it come from? How can I get more? And how can I use it with something else?
Just a quick little way to put everything upside down for a minute.
Now that's fun times.

When a pop up shows up its like WTH is that? Where did it come from? How can I get more? And how can I use it with something else?

Well, not me, and certainly not with the thyrogenous dwarf gene. If you read my article at all, you know that they do not live to maturity, ever. They will never reproduce. You know the moment you realize that one is a dwarf at 3-4 weeks of age that you will have to watch it die. It could be 7 weeks old or 15 weeks old, but none live to sexual maturity. Basically, if they do live to any real size, as my last one did at 14 weeks old, because their legs never grow to more than an inch and a half, the heart probably just gives out. It's really quite tragic and not something anyone wants to pop up in your lines, not ever (unless you're a masochist). That gene killed the plans for an entire line of some fine heritage birds, but because of the nature of it, many carriers were produced before I discovered the gene was there. Nope, no one wants more of that.

Wow! That dwarf gene seems really catastrophic. Luckily, I am familiar with basic Mendelian genetics. I have already learned a ton from these articles suggested. I am staring to get the hang of poultry genetics. Thank you for all the help everybody!
:wee:wee:wee:wee

Wow! That dwarf gene seems really catastrophic.
True, the only dwarf gene I would like to work with is the one used by the broiler industry on the Dame Line of the broiler breeding system, this dwarf gene brings about 30-40% reduction in size, reduction on feed intake and feed costs and brings more productivity because they can pack more laying hens per breeding installations, the laying ability is not affected.

The gene(dw) is a recessive sex linked, of the terminal cross chick the average Joe can get it's hand of, only the cockerels have the gene (Dw+/dw), but the terminal pullets lack the dwarf gene(Dw+/-), trying to extract/isolate this productive dwarf gene from the terminal line of cockerels is a daunting task, the cockerels must be put on a severe feed restriction diet during their entire productive life(even as chick).

Info on feed intake restriction:
"The modern commercial broiler is the product of intensive genetic selection for rapid and efficient growth. An unintended consequence of this selective breeding has been the loss of the ability for self-regulation of feed intake to closely match the requirements for maintenance, growth, and reproduction. Thus, the broiler tends to overconsume feed, resulting in a range of metabolic and health problems related to the development of obesity. These problems progress with age and become a significant impediment to the production of parent stock. To manage this situation, broiler breeder birds must be subjected to severe feed restriction, beginning early in life, to ensure that appropriate BW and composition are achieved at critical phases of the production cycle" Source: https://watermark.silverchair.com/j...eghIMtx2x6Rz2BqqD440mufnMVkX6OrnFyl2jO5HaoADA

Info on the recessive sex linked dwarf gene:
x4NeZlFGr9MX.jpg

Source: https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...ken-industry/1850F90D19ED787A98944B67A638C43A

Back
Top Bottom