ISO Pyncheon Bantam Breeder(s)

LisaMP

Songster
6 Years
Apr 9, 2018
Central NJ
I’ve become very interested in working with this breed.
I can order hatchery chicks, but I know they’re not correct to the standard, so am hoping to find a few birds from someone who’s been working with them.
I figure a good breeder’s culls might be a better jumping point. Lol.

Thank You.

Attachments

• 02D6AE42-0CD8-4B2D-A739-B3F5183162D7.jpeg
    02D6AE42-0CD8-4B2D-A739-B3F5183162D7.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 68
Hi, Lisa. Did you ever find any Pyncheon breeders? I'm about to start searching - just looking for a starting point.
Hi, The only Pyncheon's that seem to be available are through the hatcheries. And they don't appear to be pure. The couple that Do have them all get their stock from the same source -- they have them drop shipped. So it doesn't really matter who you order from. Stromberg's reduced their minimum to 15, while the others still require 30. The thing is, you may need to get 30 chicks to pick out the handful that meet the breed standard. Right off the bat, the chicks should Not be yellow, but be buff/tan. Then the "right" way they develop the mille fleur coloring is that they start out fairly solid colored and the pattern develops over time. The birds that immediately develop the mille fleur coloring as they grow the adult feathers will wash out to white by the time they're 3 or so years old. It seems to be that there has been a lot of outcrossing, especially to Old English, to attempt to correct deficiencies. In my search I saw a lot of huge combs, washed out/faded birds, wrong shank color, etc.

Now interestingly, in the Fall, Rusty Hart, "The Guy" who has been working on this breed for the last couple decades, out of the blue popped onto the Pyncheon Breed Group on FB for about a milli-second. I asked him if there were any out-crosses that he could recommend to try to bring back missing characteristics or strengthen the breed. He gave a very short answer that came down to 'no'. Sooo, I don't know. I rolled it around for a bit, and then actually canceled my hatchery chick order and am holding off on them, and am just focusing on Nankins for now.

Whomever has good, clean, close to SOP stock, if any, are holding them close to their vest.

Hi, The only Pyncheon's that seem to be available are through the hatcheries. And they don't appear to be pure. The couple that Do have them all get their stock from the same source -- they have them drop shipped. So it doesn't really matter who you order from. Stromberg's reduced their minimum to 15, while the others still require 30. The thing is, you may need to get 30 chicks to pick out the handful that meet the breed standard. Right off the bat, the chicks should Not be yellow, but be buff/tan. Then the "right" way they develop the mille fleur coloring is that they start out fairly solid colored and the pattern develops over time. The birds that immediately develop the mille fleur coloring as they grow the adult feathers will wash out to white by the time they're 3 or so years old. It seems to be that there has been a lot of outcrossing, especially to Old English, to attempt to correct deficiencies. In my search I saw a lot of huge combs, washed out/faded birds, wrong shank color, etc.

Now interestingly, in the Fall, Rusty Hart, "The Guy" who has been working on this breed for the last couple decades, out of the blue popped onto the Pyncheon Breed Group on FB for about a milli-second. I asked him if there were any out-crosses that he could recommend to try to bring back missing characteristics or strengthen the breed. He gave a very short answer that came down to 'no'. Sooo, I don't know. I rolled it around for a bit, and then actually canceled my hatchery chick order and am holding off on them, and am just focusing on Nankins for now.

Whomever has good, clean, close to SOP stock, if any, are holding them close to their vest.

Thanks so much for getting back to me. That's what I was afraid of. It's disappointing but not surprising. I'm going to check in with the Livestock Conservancy and one or two other groups to see if they have any other ideas or know of anyone still working with non-hatchery Pyncheons or at least stock close to SOP. I'll let you know if I find any promising leads. I'm willing to make road trips if it comes down to that.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for getting back to me. That's what I was afraid of. It's disappointing but not surprising. I'm going to check in with the Livestock Conservancy and one or two other groups to see if they have any other ideas or know of anyone still working with non-hatchery Pyncheons or at least stock close to SOP. I'll let you know if I find any promising leads. I'm willing to make road trips if it comes down to that.

Thanks again!
If you do locate anyone, I’d love to hear. Rusty Hart is the only one I’d heard of, and attempted to contact him various ways to no avail. That’s why I was flabbergasted to see him pop up on the comment thread on FB.

Livestock Conservancy doesn’t even list them. I read they don’t think there’s enough stock to save them. 😞

Fingers Crossed!!

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered 15 from Stromberg. 11 survived to 6 weeks old and it looks like I have 7 Cockerels. I’ve got to place a few.

Attachments

• 051B5253-FEFB-471F-AE62-A94722C90BA5.jpeg
    051B5253-FEFB-471F-AE62-A94722C90BA5.jpeg
    489.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 56ADB04C-3990-4E55-A6C1-6C887552D904.jpeg
    56ADB04C-3990-4E55-A6C1-6C887552D904.jpeg
    665.3 KB · Views: 12
  • EF7A7EA7-74FB-4878-9533-4DB77C2B877B.jpeg
    EF7A7EA7-74FB-4878-9533-4DB77C2B877B.jpeg
    648.6 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom