ISO- Silver Welsh Harlequin or Cayuga Female

Have you found a duck yet? I think Holderread farms has adult ducks, they only have golden cascade and hookbill ducks though.
No, not yet. We’ve explained to our daughter that it might take a while to find what she wants and she’s fine with that, so we’re taking our time. Since we only have the space to add one more and our ducks are all fairly young, I don’t want to settle for something else now and have to wait several years until another passes away to get what we really want.

No, not yet. We’ve explained to our daughter that it might take a while to find what she wants and she’s fine with that, so we’re taking our time. Since we only have the space to add one more and our ducks are all fairly young, I don’t want to settle for something else now and have to wait several years until another passes away to get what we really want.
I have a beautiful khaki Campbell rouen mix hen that I could ship to you! I know it's not the breeds she wants, just wanted to tell you!

I have a beautiful khaki Campbell rouen mix hen that I could ship to you! I know it's not the breeds she wants, just wanted to tell you!
Thank you for offering, but we are really set on one of the two breeds mentioned! Unless, of course, we find a pitiful little rescue. That seems to be the way most of our animals come to us.

Update on our search- I found a woman on Craigslist who was selling fertilized Welsh Harlequin eggs. I sent her an email asking if she would be willing to sell one of her adult females or if she ever sells sexed ducklings. She said she doesn’t, but after hearing about our daughter’s loss of her beloved duck, she said she would love to help and offered to give us one of her girls from a group she just hatched out, as soon as they’re old enough to be sexed! We are so excited, but I want to make sure we do things properly. Does anyone have suggestions on how to introduce a single, younger female into a group of adult females? I’m guessing the new one will be between 6-8 weeks old when we get her. Since our male died, his mate and another female have been battling each other for the top spot and I don’t want the new girl to get caught up in that or picked on excessively.

Update on our search- I found a woman on Craigslist who was selling fertilized Welsh Harlequin eggs. I sent her an email asking if she would be willing to sell one of her adult females or if she ever sells sexed ducklings. She said she doesn’t, but after hearing about our daughter’s loss of her beloved duck, she said she would love to help and offered to give us one of her girls from a group she just hatched out, as soon as they’re old enough to be sexed! We are so excited, but I want to make sure we do things properly. Does anyone have suggestions on how to introduce a single, younger female into a group of adult females? I’m guessing the new one will be between 6-8 weeks old when we get her. Since our male died, his mate and another female have been battling each other for the top spot and I don’t want the new girl to get caught up in that or picked on excessively.
I personally would not introduce a single young duck to two adult ducks that are battling each other for top spot. I'd try to get the single young duck a friend if possible and then introduce two new ones to the two older ones. Just my thoughts. Anytime I introduce 8 week old ducklings to my adult ducks, they sort of break off into their little cliques, which I feel like makes everyone happier and they all get along better if they all have their best buddies to hang out with.

I personally would not introduce a single young duck to two adult ducks that are battling each other for top spot. I'd try to get the single young duck a friend if possible and then introduce two new ones to the two older ones. Just my thoughts. Anytime I introduce 8 week old ducklings to my adult ducks, they sort of break off into their little cliques, which I feel like makes everyone happier and they all get along better if they all have their best buddies to hang out with.
We have four females currently. Only two of them are fighting. The other two are very docile and don’t care much about anything. I’m hoping the newbie will just go with the two passive ones, rather than get caught in the middle of the queen bees. We only have room for one more duck (total of five), otherwise I would consider getting two young ones. I’m just wondering if we should keep the new one separate or indoors for a bit (not ideal for ducks, I know) until she is a bit bigger/older and can defend herself, if necessary.

I love cayuga ducks they are the best, the first ducks we ever got were cayugas both of them were drakes, sadly one of them passed away about 8 years ago but the other one is still with us he is 9 years old just about. Here is a picture of Chiharu and his son Haru, you can show your daughter them if you want.
This is Chiharu, the oldest duck we have.
20220309_142636_HDR.jpg

20220314_103955_HDR.jpg

20220309_142406.jpg

This is Haru, he is 3 years old. He had a sister named Maria, she passed away last year.
20220309_095535_HDR.jpg
20220309_142404_HDR.jpg
20220314_105414.jpg

This is Totoro she is about 7 years old and is Haru' and Maria's mother.
20220314_105353.jpg
20220309_095004.jpg

I hope you enjoyed these pictures.
I am wishing you the best of luck with finding a duck for your daughter, hope everything goes well.

Attachments

• 20220309_143610.jpg
    20220309_143610.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 2
Hi there! This is so frustrating for me as I read through this thread. I'm in Ohio, and I'm looking to re-home my ducks, but I have 3! Two of them are even the breeds you want (Welshie, Cayuga, and an Ancona). I would love to be able to help you out, but I'd prefer not to split them up. So close, argghhh!

Hi there! This is so frustrating for me as I read through this thread. I'm in Ohio, and I'm looking to re-home my ducks, but I have 3! Two of them are even the breeds you want (Welshie, Cayuga, and an Ancona). I would love to be able to help you out, but I'd prefer not to split them up. So close, argghhh!
Oh, no! I wish we could take them. We actually brought home our new Welshie girl yesterday!

Back
Top Bottom