Issue with duck’s feet

I don’t know how to a post for everybody but want thank all of you who replied to my post. I’ve never seen anything like this in a duck much less know the name of or how to try and treat it. So thank you, thank you!!
Does anyone know the dosage and what antibiotic to give the duck for how long? A wildlife guy came out but only gave her ointment. My daughter couldn’t drain her foot because it was too thick skinned. She’s been cleaning the area and it’s a little better. Just would like to clear the infection.

Does anyone know the dosage and what antibiotic to give the duck for how long? A wildlife guy came out but only gave her ointment. My daughter couldn’t drain her foot because it was too thick skinned. She’s been cleaning the area and it’s a little better. Just would like to clear the infection.
Is she soaking the feet before doing any treatments? That softens them a bit but that skin is tough and thankfully so in any other situation, but that can make treating for bumblefoot a job. Do you have any new pictures since she's started treatment? You're right, getting on top of that infection and then destroying it completely is necessary or this will continue to flare up and become a problem over and over and over. I know this cycle all too well. You don't want that infection getting to the bone. I found that using a scalpel wouldn't work very well. It was an actual single use sterile scalpel but it just didn't seem as sharp as what you'd find in a surgical suite. I had to use a box cutter and sanitized it thoroughly. Also, is she keeping her foot wrapped or covered somehow? I felt like this was an important part of treatment. Other treatments, like using tricide-neo have shown to be less invasive, but I don't have personal experience with it. You can find lots of information on it here in BYC using the search function and typing in "tricide neo bumblefoot" or other similar wordings.

Is she soaking the feet before doing any treatments? That softens them a bit but that skin is tough and thankfully so in any other situation, but that can make treating for bumblefoot a job. Do you have any new pictures since she's started treatment? You're right, getting on top of that infection and then destroying it completely is necessary or this will continue to flare up and become a problem over and over and over. I know this cycle all too well. You don't want that infection getting to the bone. I found that using a scalpel wouldn't work very well. It was an actual single use sterile scalpel but it just didn't seem as sharp as what you'd find in a surgical suite. I had to use a box cutter and sanitized it thoroughly. Also, is she keeping her foot wrapped or covered somehow? I felt like this was an important part of treatment. Other treatments, like using tricide-neo have shown to be less invasive, but I don't have personal experience with it. You can find lots of information on it here in BYC using the search function and typing in "tricide neo bumblefoot" or other similar wordings.
I used a combination of things to get rid of a really bad case of bumblefoot in my duck. I felt soooo guilty for letting it get that bad.

I used tricide neo, Baytril (only for 3 weeks, I think), and antibiotic ointment. Took MONTHS. I'd soak her in the tricide neo every night for 15 minutes. I'd mix the solution in a gallon of purified water and then fill a wide bowl with just enough to cover her feet. Then I'd sit with her on the floor and hold her with her feet in the bowl. We'd watch duckie videos and Spongebob on YouTube to pass the time. Then I'd debride what I could. I'd slather on the ointment and wrap her foot. I didn't let her swim outside, either. I'd bring them all in and put them in the tub for water time. That way I knew the water was clean.

I also did everything I could in the run and yard to make sure that everything was duckie foot friendly. I never want to do all that again, if I can help it!

It was NOT fun. It was HARD. It was TIME CONSUMING. But it was WORTH IT.

ETA: I also do weekly foot checks now. Religiously. I don't ever want to miss an infection again.

I want to thank everybody for all the information! An update on our duck: she's doing much better and is waddling back out to the lake with her mate. So cute!!! We're all so happy she's better!

Thanks again!
SunshineGal

Back
Top Bottom