Issues breathing in almost 10 year old hen

Pics
Just in case azygous doesn't reply before you leave for the vet appt, read back through this entire thread, & Write Down questions you have asked the medical experts here. Unless you write your questions down ahead of time and take the list with you, it will be easy to forget some of them during the limited time you have at the vet's. You have been given expert advice here, but advising online doesn't compare to an in-person exam by a Good veterinarian. We are all hoping for the best for you and Eddie.

Just in case azygous doesn't reply before you leave for the vet appt, read back through this entire thread, & Write Down questions you have asked the medical experts here. Unless you write your questions down ahead of time and take the list with you, it will be easy to forget some of them during the limited time you have at the vet's. You have been given expert advice here, but advising online doesn't compare to an in-person exam by a Good veterinarian. We are all hoping for the best for you and Eddie.
That is a good idea- I will do that the next time I am at the vet- I always forget while we are staring at a chicken on the exam table.. then I leave and I was like... what just happened?!

Alright so the vet appointment was decent.

The vet overall said Eddie seems to be declining rapidly and he thinks she won’t recover.
He said it could be a number of things like heart failure or pneumonia. He listened and said her heart was going extremely quickly but didn’t hear any issues with the lungs. He felt her abdomen and thought the lump was Orange sized and was definitely not good, although he obviously couldn’t tell by feeling it if it was cancer or benign and all that. He gave her an injection of a diuretic, sadly I tried to read the bottle but couldn’t see what it said. I might call them later if any of you are interested to see but it’s definitely working someway. She’s had solid squirt liquid poops 5 times in the last 2 hours. She’s drinking quite a bit thankfully.
He gave us an antibiotic, I feel kinda duped about it. He said that it’s called enrosite and that it is so powerful that you can never consume their eggs afterwards. He sold me on it after I asked about doxycycline or tetracycline. Well I looked it up and it’s just baytril. I only heart it be called Baytril or enroflaxcin. Duh. Well I could’ve just given her Baytril at home since I have some. Do you think it will still help? This one has to be refrigerated which I thought was odd.

But anyways he said he is fine with euthanizing her because of her condition and will be able to help when that time comes. She’s still alive and has had her eyes open more after the visit. He said he didn’t think she was in a great deal of pain since she was not showing too many signs like eyes closed and gasping for breathe there.

So overall I’m glad I went. But he didn’t have much hope for her at all. Feel duped about the whole antibiotic thing though.

Attachments

• D52D8920-EC82-48E6-9A6E-9220FFC2F3DD.jpeg
    D52D8920-EC82-48E6-9A6E-9220FFC2F3DD.jpeg
    880.9 KB · Views: 1
  • C5B5E6F1-DE8F-4DBC-8CAF-44DF753BC7EF.jpeg
    C5B5E6F1-DE8F-4DBC-8CAF-44DF753BC7EF.jpeg
    834.2 KB · Views: 1
I am glad you got to go to see the vet today with Eddie, sometimes it is just nice to get confirmation that you are doing everything you can for her. I would follow doctors orders on what they prescribed and then snuggle some more with Eddie today. Put your feet up and pour yourself a glass of wine. It's been a long day 😊

Baytril is a brand name of enrofloxacin, I think Enrocite is a generic. There are lots of different brands. Whether something needs to be refrigerated or not depends on the other ingredients in it's form and how stable it is. It's very hard to recognize all medication names unless you are a pharmacist or doctor that prescribes them all the time, there are thousands. Many vets advise never consuming the eggs after treatment with enrofloxacin. That is usually because of the chance of any bacteria that survive the treatment and may then be resistant to that medication. If it was a bacteria that was passed to a human and made them sick then it could end up being very difficult or not responsive to treatment. That is why they often say don't consume the eggs. How large a percentage the chance is of that ever happening, I don't know. There are not many studies on actual egg residues of many medications. I don't know if it will help or not, since the vet gave it, I would use it. It sounds very much like they are trying to keep her comfortable and perhaps give her more time, but not that she will recover. Cancers in laying hens are fairly common, and nothing really can be done for most of them (assuming the abdomen mass is that). And unfortunately age is going to catch up to all of them (and us) eventually. At 10 years old she's had a very good life for a chicken, she's obviously been well cared for and loved, enjoy the time you have left, however long that may be. :hugs

I agree with everything that has been posted here. I too have lived through the deaths of many many chickens. Some died on their own, some were put down, some I was lucky enough to be with as they passed. My first chicken death (a bird too young to be losing her life) was so traumatic for me, I thought about jumping into the grave with this bird. Its easier now after losing so many, not that their lives have become insignificant, but as @azygous mentioned above, the deaths became less scary. I feel lucky be present at the time of their death, the one that gets to usher them out of their bodies and onto their astral journeys. We all know how draining and emotionally taxing it is to watch our beloved birds slowly slip away. My heart goes out to you @Eddie12109 there are no 2 birds on the planet loved more or taken better care of than your Eddie and Dev. I know this is tough, but we are all here to help you through this. :hugs

The abdominal mass, combined with the probable heart issues, fairly much confirms she does not have much longer. I had a much younger hen (4.5 years) with an abdominal mass (smaller than that), took her to an avian vet, and after much consideration, decided to have her euthanised at that visit, rather than risking a potentially drawn out and painful ending. I got to hold her and stroke her as she drifted off. I do not regret that decision, but of course, was still extremely sad at saying goodbye.

I do not think the antibiotics will be helping in any way, not with what is going on with her (I could be wrong) . I would be more inclined to help her with analgesics, to help with any pain or discomfort she may be having. Frankly, if she were my girl, I would stop the antibiotics. They may even be making her feel worse.

Sadly, the only decision you have now, is to let her pass on her own, or if in pain or distress, have her euthanised. I found the decision to euthanise with some of my cats, they gave me "the look" of "it's time". Chickens are even more stoic, so you may not get a clear signal.

If she looks truly miserable, help her on her way (euthanise). Ask that you can hold her as she passes. The final goodbye is near, and the best you can do for her now is not let her suffer or be in pain.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and just helping me with this. It really does mean a lot.

She’s not my first hen to die, but i know it will be the most painful. I always say Eddie is like my pet dog. We have that same kind of bond. She purrs at me when I call her name and always tries to be held by me. I’m not giving up on her yet but once I felt the tumor-like bump grow and her develop possible ascites, I don’t have much hope.

@coach723 , so this is a form of enrofloxacin but could have some different ingredients due to it needing to be refrigerated? So it possibly could not be the same Baytril I have that I got online?

Back
Top Bottom