Issues breathing in almost 10 year old hen

so this is a form of enrofloxacin but could have some different ingredients due to it needing to be refrigerated? So it possibly could not be the same Baytril I have that I got online?
Yes, it's enrofloxacin. The strength may be different, other ingredients are often for palatability, stability, shelf life, etc, so can vary. There are lots of reason to choose a certain kind/brand. Could be cost consideration (generic), ease of dosing or administering, best form for whatever you are treating, availability, etc. That is a decision your vet made based on circumstances so can't say why they used that particularly. If your Baytril is unopened it likely has a long shelf life ( 4 years unopened) so just keep it on hand. If it's opened then the shelf life is reduced to about 3 months.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and just helping me with this. It really does mean a lot.

She’s not my first hen to die, but i know it will be the most painful. I always say Eddie is like my pet dog. We have that same kind of bond. She purrs at me when I call her name and always tries to be held by me. I’m not giving up on her yet but once I felt the tumor-like bump grow and her develop possible ascites, I don’t have much hope.

@coach723 , so this is a form of enrofloxacin but could have some different ingredients due to it needing to be refrigerated? So it possibly could not be the same Baytril I have that I got online?
Some of these birds really know how to cackle their way deep into our hearts. They get so intertwined, they become attached by an invisible cord to our souls. And its heart wrenching to let them go at death, ripping at our hearts. When the time comes, don't force her to stay with medications or too much fussing over her. Keep her warm and comfortable, somewhere with dim light, let her know you will always love her and that its ok to go.

Some of these birds really know how to cackle their way deep into our hearts. They get so intertwined, they become attached by an invisible cord to our souls. And its heart wrenching to let them go at death, ripping at our hearts. When the time comes, don't force her to stay with medications or too much fussing over her. Keep her warm and comfortable, somewhere with dim light, let her know you will always love her and that its ok to go.
That is the truth!... 6 pounds of fluff, love and soul attachment

Eddie sounds like an amazing bird. I've read your entire thread and had only one idea that I've not heard mentioned. You said you are giving her Metacam which helps relieve inflammation pain, but also has side effects and can cause renal failure.

I routinely use CBD for my animals when they have joint pain or simply need to be calmed down (for treatment, relocation, travel, etc.). We also treated an epileptic dog and reduced the seizures to 0 from several a day, no side effects. My 14 yo cat has spinal stenosis and his hind legs don't work well, but with CBD he is able to limp around mostly pain free.
10 years is way longer than any of my birds have lasted.

I don't know where you live, but CBD (thanks to 2020 farm bill) can be bought online in every state legally. If you don't have a source, I trust these guys: https://axislabscbd.com/collections/cbd-oil-tincture

There is no toxicity level, so don't worry about killing your bird, but you will want to start with a low dosage and titrate up to a level where you see the desired effect (pain free or sedated). Dosage is dependant on size/weight. I would suggest a tincture with MCT oil and a dropper to put it in her food (soak grain or pellet). I am giving my cat 2.5mg once daily in a tablespoon of moist cat food. I would start with 1mg/day for your chicken. Effect is slow, taking at least 45-90 min. after ingestion. Then double to 2mg, then 3mg, 1mg at a time. Besides relieving inflammation, it will also calm Eddie and if it's her time, allow her a peaceful end. You won't need the Metacam any more and can relieve her kidneys of the burden.

Note: the CBD oil isn't with TCH, which would get her high and disoriented.

Funny Aside: I use a healing ointment for my achy old bones and usually put it on before I go to bed. Once I forgot to put the lid on the jar and my dog ate up 1/2 jar, which was about 250mg of CBD (base is olive oil, coconut and shea butter, non-toxic), Until I realized what happened I thought he was feeling ill, but then noticed empty jar. He was super chill and sleeping for about 1.5 days before it was through his system. I had to carry him (65lbs) outside to pee.

Science has determined that THC has no effect on the brains of birds. I grow cannabis and make my own CBD products, so I've experimented myself over the years giving the raw cannabis leaves to my chickens since they relish the taste, and trim is something I have in abundance when making my tinctures, lotions, oil capsules and salves. I've observed no behavior effect whatsoever. So I have confirmed what the science says - that bird brains have no receptors for THC.

I've used salve for injuries and arthritis on my chickens, and I can't say that it's had any noticeable benefit.

I've used CBD also, mostly for dogs (orally). I've had two dogs with cancers and arthritis, it helped a lot in keeping them comfortable. So I know it works for them, no question, there is no placebo effect in dogs. I've not (yet) had a bird where I thought it might be useful, but would not hesitate to try it if I thought it might.

My Eddie is having a hard time breathing. To give background information: Eddie will be turning 10 in March. Around 3 years ago she had a heat stroke and ended up getting her head stuck between two cage bars. She has since recovered but has, what a vet is assuming, curled toes due to her getting her head stuck and losing some nerve connections and she is very sensitive to heat due to the stroke. The past 6 months breathing has become a real challenge for her. Especially during the summer she always needs a fan on her, as I live in Florida, since it is so hot. She has not been panting these last months but has instead been breathing rapidly and making rattling noises when she breathes. It does not seem to be the weather, she is always breathing very quickly. I have another hen with her and when I look at both, it seems Eddie takes two whole breathes when the other only takes one. She usually only gets very labored breathing when she over works herself and needs to be still for a few minutes. She will make odd noises during that time like she is gasping for breathe.

A few months ago she got Xrays done and the vet found scar tissue in Eddie's lungs. She might have called it fibromas, I can't remember but definitely scar tissue. I tried to pull up the xrays but it says it has expired, I will need to get the vet to send it again. Anyways her lungs are very cloudy and white in the xray. The vet thought it could be trauma from her heat stroke. So I put together that she is probably having trouble breathing due to her lungs having less room due to scar tissue build up.

Well she has been able to manage it but a few weeks ago she almost died from choking. It was very odd, I set her down in front of her food and water and went to shut a door, I heard her stop eating so I immediately went back to her and found her eyes closed and her neck twisted downwards looking like she was close to death. I thought she was choking so I tried to use a recommendation from a friend where she said when her hen was choking she held the hen by her legs and swung her between her legs as to let gravity dislodge the food. I did that then held her and she calmed down. Eddie usually does get a piece of feed down the wrong hole about once every three weeks but she did not even sneeze or try to get it out, it was like she just passed out.

Whenever she drinks she shakes her head. I used to not think anything of it but I do think it is important now. Whenever she drinks, it is like she took too much so she brings her head up and shakes out some water instead of just drinking it.

Tonight I am very concerned. She has been gaping, rattling, and breathing quicker than usual. She did not have any issues earlier today and acted normal. She is sitting 20 feet from me and I can her hear breathing heavily, but her mouth is not open. She sometimes sneezes and tries to dislodge something but I know she is not choking, it is just one of her weird things where she sometimes just sneezes until some water is expelled out of her nares or mouth. I have been monitoring her and she has been doing it for the past 2 hours or so. I am concerned her heart is working overtime.

I am already planning on making a vet appt but I am unsure of how soon I can get in. I am thinking it could be the scar tissue getting worse or also her metacam. I looked into it and couldn't find much on it but I am wondering if anyone knows if meloxicam raises heart rates? I have been to three separate vets. Two prescribed 1.5 mg of Meloxicam per dose but one gave us 7.5 mg per dose. This is for her arthritis. Since her arthritis is bad I have been giving her the dose that contains more but I am thinking that is too much for her. She gets it 5 days out of the week. I will attach some articles but they do not discuss heart issues much.

I am a little overboard with my treatments but Eddie also gets ginger and hawthorn to help with heart functions along with turmeric, dandelion, lily of the desert and milk thistle. In addition to some other things. What could be causing her to have these breathing issues? Old age, scar tissue, metacam?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25815572/

@azygous @TwoCrows @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @coach723
I am not a chicken, but a human who suffered a stroke 9 years ago. As a result, i too struggle with drinking water. I often choke, and its very frightening. My doctor said to turn my neck to the side before i swallow. Works for me, but not sure how you tell a chicken to do that. Chickens do have a limited lifespan and you obviously love yours but that horrid day will come. Good luck at the vets.

CBD has been suggested to me for my arthritis. I may give it a try soon. It has been so painful lately I'm having problems sleeping which in turns ruins my next day. I also have an older hen who I think has arthritis in her hips. She acts like it bothers her most when the weather is cold.
Thank you all for the information.

I swear by CBD salves for arthritis. Depending on the severity of the pain, one application usually works, reducing the pain by 90%. Often, I need to apply it a second and third time to get pain relief, but it definitely works on me.

When Colorado legalized cannabis, I bought a small one ounce jar for $50 to see if it worked. Yes, it did, spectacularly. So then I made my own salve from then on. And I made it three times as strong as the store bought jar. The plants are super fun to grow. The chickens love to "prune" them when given the chance. But it's not to party. They just love the green leaves.

CBD has been suggested to me for my arthritis. I may give it a try soon. It has been so painful lately I'm having problems sleeping which in turns ruins my next day. I also have an older hen who I think has arthritis in her hips. She acts like it bothers her most when the weather is cold.
Thank you all for the information.
my mum has really bad arthritis and I have mild (im sure bad is in my future) and cbd salve works wonders on the hands. I also have one made with some spicy peppers additionally, so it's warming.

Back
Top Bottom