Issues with advanced age chickens

So sorry for your loss :hugsamazing what you did for her, I think you did the best for her, now she isn’t in any pain ! My 10- year old hen is also getting on in years and walking stiffer, and sometimes younger hens attack her cos she looks “weak” 😢 whenever I see it, I stop it, and it isn’t always the case, I know some of my friend have a extra “senior” group of hens separate from the other chickens , but it isn’t something I could do on my property 😬

Lady Di is dead. I euthanized her to spare her more than the one bad day she's had in her 13 1/2 years. Yesterday was bad for her. She didn't open her eyes at all, and slept most of the day under the heat lamp. Didn't eat at all. She may have been in pain, and it was time to end it.
Very truly sorry for your loss.
Thank you for your kindness, good heart, valiant effort, and recognizing it was time for her to go.
In a world where animals are too often little thought of, people with a heart like yours are a beacon, and reminder that humans aren't all thoughtless or selfish.

Lady Di is dead. I euthanized her to spare her more than the one bad day she's had in her 13 1/2 years. Yesterday was bad for her. She didn't open her eyes at all, and slept most of the day under the heat lamp. Didn't eat at all. She may have been in pain, and it was time to end it.
I know that you knew this was coming but I am certain that it was still not easy. You provided her with a magnificent life. There nothing more that anyone could have done for any chicken.

I am still terribly sorry for your loss. I hope that you will be able to celebrate her amazing life.

You were blessed to have each other for so long. :hugs :hugs

@Shadrach I thought you might want to know.

She had a wonderful long life with you and I can only hope that if I get to her equivalent age someone will care for me as you cared for her.
This has been a heartwarming story to follow.
I am sorry for your loss, but there is lot to take comfort from in how she lived and how she died. You did a truly wonderful job with her.
:hugs

Well done Lady Di and you azygous of course. Thirteen and a half is a fine age to reach for a backyard chicken. It seems to me you did everything you could for Lady Di (What were you thinking when you named her:p)
Is it two more pensioners still living?
You'll miss her. I know I miss the more elderly hens mostly I've lived with.
:hugs

Lady Di was named Diane after a good friend. Back in the early days all my chickens got named after friends and family. Lady Di was one of the very first three baby chicks I began my flock with.

Over the many years since, she outlived all the chickens. She became quite an influence over the flock, brooking no foolishness from younger ones. She was good at putting a chicken in their place when they did something stupid within pecking range. Her name morphed into Lady Di because it was obvious she considered herself royalty. But then, Brahmas are quite good at having that opinion of themselves.

Currently, there is only one senior chicken, nine-year old Welsummer Millie. My flock ranges in age from five months to seven years, then the leap to nine years.

Lady Di was named Diane after a good friend. Back in the early days all my chickens got named after friends and family. Lady Di was one of the very first three baby chicks I began my flock with.

Over the many years since, she outlived all the chickens. She became quite an influence over the flock, brooking no foolishness from younger ones. She was good at putting a chicken in their place when they did something stupid within pecking range. Her name morphed into Lady Di because it was obvious she considered herself royalty. But then, Brahmas are quite good at having that opinion of themselves.

Currently, there is only one senior chicken, nine-year old Welsummer Millie. My flock ranges in age from five months to seven years, then the leap to nine years.
That's a relief. I thought it might have been a member, or rather ex member of the British royal family. Coincidence due to behaviour is quite acceptable.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom