Issues with molting?

Jtaranc

Chirping
Sep 26, 2022
I've noticed several of my hens still don't have their feathers back in from their molt. Is this normal? Seems the older hens have all their feathers but the younger crowd struggling to re grow? Is there any supplements I can add to help?
1000021468.jpg
1000021461.jpg
1000021460.jpg
1000021466.jpg

This looks like on going feather breaking from mating. How many hens to roosters? What age are the boys? How much space do they have?
I was afraid of that. I have 3 males that are less than a year and 12 girls. They free range on 10 acres but all sleep in a coop at night. I noticed the roosters get pretty rowdy at night at feeding time....maybe cause all the hens are in the same space.

Looks like a few are gonna have to go.

That is not molting. Molting is done in a certain order. I'll copy an excerpt from a Kansas State article and give the link.

The birds will lose old feathers and grow a new set in the following order: head, neck, body, wings and tail.

MF2308 Molting and Other causes of Feather Loss in Small Poultry Flocks (ksu.edu)

I agree with the others, that looks like rooster damage. The danger is that the claws or spurs can cut the hen if she has a bald spot. It doesn't happen that often but it can. If the hen gets a raw wound the others sometimes turn into cannibals, which can kill her. It is usually not that bad but it can happen.

Some hens are more prone to bare spots than others. They have brittle feathers that break easily. Some are favorites and get mated more. Some boys have a bad technique that can lead to bare spots. Reducing the number of boys is certainly the first step.

If a feather is totally removed it should grow back fairly soon. If a tiny bit of feather shaft remains that feather will not be replaced until the next molt. That red one looks like she has some feathers regrowing.

This type of damage is fairly common and often looks worse than it really is. But there is a real danger, I consider reducing the number of boys to be a very wise move.

That is not molting. Molting is done in a certain order. I'll copy an excerpt from a Kansas State article and give the link.

The birds will lose old feathers and grow a new set in the following order: head, neck, body, wings and tail.

MF2308 Molting and Other causes of Feather Loss in Small Poultry Flocks (ksu.edu)

I agree with the others, that looks like rooster damage. The danger is that the claws or spurs can cut the hen if she has a bald spot. It doesn't happen that often but it can. If the hen gets a raw wound the others sometimes turn into cannibals, which can kill her. It is usually not that bad but it can happen.

Some hens are more prone to bare spots than others. They have brittle feathers that break easily. Some are favorites and get mated more. Some boys have a bad technique that can lead to bare spots. Reducing the number of boys is certainly the first step.

If a feather is totally removed it should grow back fairly soon. If a tiny bit of feather shaft remains that feather will not be replaced until the next molt. That red one looks like she has some feathers regrowing.

This type of damage is fairly common and often looks worse than it really is. But there is a real danger, I consider reducing the number of boys to be a very wise move.
Will do! Luckily they're young and don't have spurs yet, i have a few people im reaching out to take them. You're đź’Ż right about favorites, they like my leghorns and they have it worst of the bunch. I may put the boys in a rooster only coop at night til I can rehome.

How do I decide what rooster to keep? I'd like to keep just 1.

How do I decide what rooster to keep? I'd like to keep just 1.
What are your goals for a rooster? Why do you want one? We all have different reasons. Once you decide what you want start eliminating those that don't measure up. Often the first decision is pretty easy but the last one may be really hard. It is your goals and desires that count, not mine.

Back
Top Bottom