Issues with zipping?

HannahDolding

Songster
May 1, 2020
Fleet Hampshire, England
Ok, so. I currently have 4 call duck eggs in my incubator with about 3 and a bit days left until they are supposed to hatch, and I have realised I don't know enough about zipping I've heard call ducks can have problems with zipping so if anyone has any advice or a website or thread they can refer me to so I can quickly educate myself, I will be very grateful. :)

Hi there. Ducklings and chicks will peck a hole in their shell. When you can see the hole from the outside that is an external pip. The zipping is what we call the process of breaking through the shell from the inside, starting at the hole and working in a circle around the egg until the baby can push itself out. It looks like the egg is being unzipped as they go.

Sometimes there can be issues. The baby might be large for its shell or in a bad position and is unable to turn inside to work on getting out.

Hi there. Ducklings and chicks will peck a hole in their shell. When you can see the hole from the outside that is an external pip. The zipping is what we call the process of breaking through the shell from the inside, starting at the hole and working in a circle around the egg until the baby can push itself out. It looks like the egg is being unzipped as they go.

Sometimes there can be issues. The baby might be large for its shell or in a bad position and is unable to turn inside to work on getting out.

Okay, is there anything you can do to help it when it's badly positioned and stuff?

Back
Top Bottom