It’s already started…

Kkakes414

Chirping
Jul 11, 2023
South Eastern Virginia
My flock has only been outside for 2 days they are 6 weeks old and a falcon or something smaller than a hawk is already lurking around… how do I help keep it away so it stops harassing them. It can’t get to them but definitely insights panic and some injuries have occurred. I have attached a picture of the culprit. One of my bird looks to have cracked her beak in the panic idk how cause it can’t touch them, any tips on that too? How to clean her up?

Attachments

• IMG_6386.jpeg
    IMG_6386.jpeg
    611.2 KB · Views: 39
You know those pinwheels we had as kids? They make big metal ones 12' tall. We have four of those and dozens of the little ones.

Another thing you can try is use fishing line and tie it between two tall places across your yard and in several places if you can do it, like between trees, buildings, etc. Do it high enough so people can't walk into it. That will confuse them, and they won't want to come near it.

As for the broken beak, could you maybe put a little vaseline on it? Without a picture, it's hard to know how bad it it but if just cracked, it might heal fine.

You know those pinwheels we had as kids? They make big metal ones 12' tall. We have four of those and dozens of the little ones.

Another thing you can try is use fishing line and tie it between two tall places across your yard and in several places if you can do it, like between trees, buildings, etc. Do it high enough so people can't walk into it. That will confuse them, and they won't want to come near it.

As for the broken beak, could you maybe put a little vaseline on it? Without a picture, it's hard to know how bad it it but if just cracked, it might heal fine.

Attachments

• 373080500_866817770979790_7132192705232864457_n.jpg
    373080500_866817770979790_7132192705232864457_n.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 22
Ms. Holland, I cleaned it up a lot and now it's just the tip that is red. I'm gonna be going out of town tomorrow and I know my husband won't care for her, I was hoping I'd be able to put her back out with the others.

Do you have a run for them?

That hawk will continue his antics as long as he thinks a chicken buffet is there. If you can keep them in a run for a while the hawk may move on somewhere a meal is easier to get.

I can't tell how badly your chicks beak is cracked. If she can eat normally and not bleeding, I would try to put her back with her friends.

Ms. Holland, I cleaned it up a lot and now it's just the tip that is red. I'm gonna be going out of town tomorrow and I know my husband won't care for her, I was hoping I'd be able to put her back out with the others.

If the tip is still red, I wouldn't put her out there, as they'll pick it.

My flock has only been outside for 2 days they are 6 weeks old and a falcon or something smaller than a hawk is already lurking around… how do I help keep it away so it stops harassing them. It can’t get to them but definitely insights panic and some injuries have occurred. I have attached a picture of the culprit. One of my bird looks to have cracked her beak in the panic idk how cause it can’t touch them, any tips on that too? How to clean her up?
This one a few days ago is the first time in seven years of living here that I've ever seen a hawk land on that pole. We've got a 125' internet tower in our yard, and those guy wires nearby usually keep them far away. This one is balsy. Our chickens free range but were still locked up at the time, so must've heard him as when I let them out after he left, then ran to the hosta plants and took cover. Sometimes I'm not sure what it takes to scare them off.

Attachments

• hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 18
Do you have a run for them?

That hawk will continue his antics as long as he thinks a chicken buffet is there. If you can keep them in a run for a while the hawk may move on somewhere a meal is easier to get.

I can't tell how badly your chicks beak is cracked. If she can eat normally and not bleeding, I would try to put her back with her friends.
They are in a well secured run, the hawk cannot touch them it just stalks them and watches them but it did not damage to the coop/run and no one was touched by it they just panicked and I think that’s how she hurt herself. It’s still a little red so I figured I’d give her time to rest and see if it clots all the way, and then maybe put her in tonight when they go to bed.

They are in a well secured run, the hawk cannot touch them it just stalks them and watches them but it did not damage to the coop/run and no one was touched by it they just panicked and I think that’s how she hurt herself. It’s still a little red so I figured I’d give her time to rest and see if it clots all the way, and then maybe put her in tonight when they go to bed.
Sounds like a good plan.

Looks like a juvenile cooper's hawk, pretty bird!
Keep chasing it away whenever you see it nearby, the hawks are migrating right now so hopefully it will move along shortly. A temporary tarp might help to block both the chickens and hawk's view of one another.

Back
Top Bottom