It’s getting cold here! Ducks absolutely will NOT use their house!

Pics
I get put up earlier than normal when wind is blowing hard and it's down into 20 which mean wind chill is in singles. I start around 3:30 in the afternoon and everyone is in by 4-4:30 chickens go in by themselves Runners and Muscovy's have been going in on their own Geese I walk behind and put them in their house. It take a bit of time to train them to a routine but they learn fast once they know what you want.

I get put up earlier than normal when wind is blowing hard and it's down into 20 which mean wind chill is in singles. I start around 3:30 in the afternoon and everyone is in by 4-4:30 chickens go in by themselves Runners and Muscovy's have been going in on their own Geese I walk behind and put them in their house. It take a bit of time to train them to a routine but they learn fast once they know what you want.
4:30? That seems early. Lol! I Usually put mine in around 9 or 10 at night. I think they need food and water before bed.. lol But it has gotten real cold here and these couple days it’s going to be even colder.
I know my ducks are cold.. but they will not go inside the house and it’s open to them all day! Ugh!

How can you leave them out so late with out the threat of predators?

Once yours get us to being inside hopefully they will start going in on their own if they are too cold outside. Most of mine go in on their own and seem to do fine without food and water till daylight the next morning.

How can you leave them out so late with out the threat of predators?

Once yours get us to being inside hopefully they will start going in on their own if they are too cold outside. Most of mine go in on their own and seem to do fine without food and water till daylight the next morning.
They are in a small fence up close to the house where their house is located also.. unless we are home.. then they’ll roam around. Maybe I’ll start putting them in early.. when it get s dark about 7. I keep a close eye on them. I don’t have that many ducks to worry about tho. I have 4. And they are the only animals on the farm. They’re spoiled.

I've heard of that technique before. I was wondering if it was effective or not...
Hello everyone. I have two females right now, I trained mine with walking on the opposite side of where you want them to go. They know now when I come out with their food and water tbey know it's time to go to their coop. I let them out during the day, and they stay close to the house. My dryer is vented outside, so I turn it on for a little bit. They will lay against the house for awhile, then leave and go out in the yard. I keep a lot of hay in their coop and they seem to like that also. They love the snow and cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom