It all started with 2 stray roosters. ...

She's got her heart set on some little button quail a neighbor girl is selling. I know even less about them!
1f615.png
We just need to figure out our roo dilemma first.

We just started with chickens but one thing I put on the pro list. .. unwanted roos... I can't eat a pet but my Russian neighbor will. I know that sounds wrong but after all they are chicken.

Lol! Yes,I hear ya. I just kinda like them still. They aren't too aggressive towards me. We were just suckers for a hard luck case! They are so pretty too!

Lol! Yes,I hear ya. I just kinda like them still. They aren't too aggressive towards me. We were just suckers for a hard luck case! They are so pretty too!

Thanks for the additional hellos! And since I'm here, quick update on the boys. We have decided to embrace our crazy sides, and keep them. We are currently planning on a new bigger coop (probably 2!) to put the boys in and eventually get them each their own little harem. Am assuming they won't get along as well if we add hens(thus,the 2 coop idea). If anyone has experience with 2roos still cohabitating with hens let me know. But I'm guessing a fence between them would be best.

Welcome.
Ages ago when I was a kid, in addition to our flock or larger birds we had bantams mostly for my pets, cochins and probably mixed breeds. and we had both hens and roosters. If I remembered correctly, they seemed to pair off or each rooster had a hen or two or three. Sometimes the roosters would face off, but it never seemed to go further than that. Maybe because they free ranged on a lot of land, but they did go in their large coop, maybe 20 x 20, sort of a small barn, all together at night.

That's great to know! I have been reading up and it does seem many can cohabitate even with hens. Fingers crossed! I figure we will cross that bridge if and when we come to it. We will still have the old coop if needed too. Just laid out the frame for their new enclosure it is huge compared to their original a- frame tractor coop. Wish I could free range but our property isn't fenced (yet!). (Not to mention our Malamute would definitely eat them!) So a nice secure pen and coop will have to do! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom