It Did Not Go Well

This was the perfect thread to read after just returning home from the Stat Clinic with a bandaid on my arm (tetnus shot) and bottle of antibiotics. I was the "chicken injury", spurred through my garden shoe right in the top of my foot. I think today it became to expensive to keep the rooster. I saw several good methods for dispatching him. I was sort of leaning toward a twenty guage but may try a more restrained approach.

He's alive only because it hurts to much to hobble out there, dispatch and dispose of him. But he won't see many more sunrises.

TOOOOO FUNNY!! I loved this thread for its frank reality to what being human is all about!! You don't have to finish reading the thread if you begin to understand what happens next!!

If it makes you feel better, I recently had to dispatch a "pullet" that turned out (along with three others of the seven "pullets" that my mother purchased from this same store...) to be a rooster.

Being that I haven't killed many chickens in the last decade or two (but have wrung the necks of other shot-but-not-dead birds including a grouse that we still believe to have been a Terminator robot from the future... ) I decided to string it to a board and behead it.

I tied the twine to one nail and made a noose for the neck and then made another length of twine with a noose for the feet. I then found out that I couldn't find my trusty machete, so I decided to bleed it out.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't bring myself to bleed it and decided to just hang it, being that it was already noosed and the twine around its feet should give enough pressure to break its neck.

Unfortunately, the twine around its neck broke before the neck did so I wound up having to finish the job by hand as it were... Not my best moment. Never gonna try hanging a bird again... unless, of course, it's already dead and just hanging for flavor.

Quote:
After the comment about the bathrobe I half expected you to say 'with one clean snip he was gone. And I turned around and there were all of the neighbors watching'
lol.png

Kinda like when I took my two new geese with their goslings down to my pond and the next morning they were all gone. I searched around and they were down by the railroad tracks. I was herding them back when Amtrak went through, and there I was, chasing geese while wearing a pink bathrobe, mudboots, and a camoflage jacket. Smile and wave...

I had one mean roo, apparently he drew blood when he attacked DH the last time. I was in a near-by building and heard a loud BANG. I went running out to find that DH had shot the roo and it was laying in the hen yard. The same hen yard that DH had recently built and didn't add a door. To get the roo I had to go into the henhouse and crawl through the little 14 1/2" door for the chickens.

Thank you for the laughs, you guys are awesome!

I am having the same problem right now! I have two roo's both mutt's and both are mean!! I went to pet my silkie yesterday, bent over to say hello, reached out a slow gentle hand to pet and BAM!! I got pecked till blood drew
barnie.gif
Needless to say I went to grab him and just as I got ahold of one leg he proceeded to peck the crap outta me before I could restrain him. He then flew up over the 6ft high fence. I looked at em and said good! Now you'll see what it's all about. So, I proceeded to go back to trying to pet my silkie again. Wouldn't ya know the other mean Roo tried to do the same thing???
hmm.png
Although this one didn't get me. He is too slow. I said fine you too then. I left both locked outside of the coop thinking I live in the wilderness and maybe a predator will come along and teach them a lesson...... Nope, I heard several Cock-a-doodle-do's this morning. Walked out at 5:30am to be greeted by the nasty white mutt trying to get close to me as if to say, "I'm Sorry I pecked you." The other one already made his way to follow. I let both back into the horse paddock and so far soo good. But, how long till they pull the same crap again? They are 4 and 5 months old now.

I can feel all of your pain and embarresment (sp) I had to dispatch a roo that was a meany as well! I took him from the coop (after he charged me for the last time. I carried him down and around to the trash burn pile. ( I live out in the country) I prepared myself. Talked him into relaxing. Then quickly rung his neck. With a big twist at the same time. I heard the snaps and he went limp.........Can you guess what happened yet?

I had layed my knife down and it had fell to the ground. I had a spot ready for finishing the job with everything layed out. I went to lay him down so I could retreave my knife. .........As soon as I let go he SHOT up and took off screamming!!!!!!!!

I was stunned at first then quickly realized the situation. I chased him all over the place for 20 minutes. I didn't want my dogs to begin chasing him and get used to chasing and killing chickens! I'd hate to have to kill my dogs because of my mistake!! I will not have a chicken killer in my family! (except me!)

He finally ran down into the old goat pen. He ran up to the old fence and under a bunch of brush. As I lunged for him, I had a huge branch jabb me in the face! It hit me right in the eye lid! Almost in my eye!! Know I am lunging at a full grown roo, screamming his head off, one eye blind and watering like crazy, knife in one hand, dripping with sweat, being stabbed by brush and branches! Muttering under my breath at my own stupidity! If it wasn't me I would have laughed! LOL

I finally got under the brush and retrieved my roo with out my dogs getting involved. I finished the job and went up to the house. When I came walking into the house my wife just stood staring at me! LOL I was covered in leaves and brush trash, dripping wet, feathers every place, and bleeding from a swelled up , almost swollen shut eye!

She finally asked with a straight face " Was he that tough?"

I almost lost it!

I learned my lesson! I know have a traffic cone for a kill cone. I works like a dream! I just trimmed it down to fit their heads through! Perfect!!!!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Quote:
OMG that is really a funny story. I promise not laughing at you but, really laughing at the situation. Especially the end part with your wife.....lol I hope your eye healed up okay!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom