It finally happened (long rant, sorry)

shoot it, take a pic where you shot it, throw the body back over the fence.

The safety of your own animals in your property trumps those of a wandering predator.

You gotta be kiddin me? He's killed before and everyone's ok with that!?!?!?!?!

My dog was the offender, granted she never bit, just ran up to smell as pups will do (she was a 90 lb "pup) but I was personally very VERY upset that she left my yard. That is NOT ok with me.

At the same time, the neighbor who's yard she went into has horses, and they have slipped on the ice and broken the fence. At which point I went and help catch the horses as I am an animal lover and the hubby over there has no clue what to do with a horse. Anyway, I told animal control when I had to bring in the papers proving my dog has her rabies shots up to date that I had helped catch the horses (more than once) He said: Trap and I'll come get em. If you trap/contain them on your property that proves that they were on your property. Once I have them the owner has to admit they were loose and they have to go to the trouble and expense of picking them up. He said it's a much bigger statement in the eyes of the law than a report of dogs being a niusance without any real physical proof.

Just a thought. It'd be worth a live trap (which I can rent from animal control) and the price of a steak to catch the animal in action.

Just my 2-cents....
Michelle

If it were me I'd shoot the dog! My neighbors dog killed my chickens...about 7-8 of them. I knew it but couldn't prove it until I finally saw it for myself a few times. Each time I told the neighbors to keep the dogs in their own yard...and of course they didn't. Animal Control or Police won't do crap around here and told me I couldn't shoot the dog if it did it again?!?!? So I am supposed to keep letting the dog kill my chickens? I don't think so... next time I see that dog in my yard, Im getting my shot gun and BOOM! Bye bye doggie. I know its cruel but these chickens are my pets and enough is enough! Good Luck!

I own to German Shepherds, and now a rescued pitbullX puppy (the people decided they did not want him and tossed hime out to fend for himself). If my dogs ever went and killed another animale they would not be in my house and I would probably kill them myself.

When I first got my chickens, my dogs did kill some of them. I took the dogs, tied them to a tree and beat the crap out of them with the chickens they killed. Each chicken I picked up off the ground, the dogs got whacked 2x's with it. I left the chickens on the ground around the dogs tied to the tree and they stayed there 2 days. My dogs will never touch a chicken, pheasant or a cat and the pitbull is the same way. All my chickens free range and the dogs now protect them.

Shoot the dog. If it was in my yard and killing my birds - the owner would find it dead in their yard the next morning. A dog that kills anything is only a danger to other animals and also humans.

Last edited:
:/Sorry for your loss. This also happened to me last week. Neighbor's dog killed 23 birds INSIDE of my barn (looked like a bad Jim Jones scene). My neighbor's locked up and never even apologized. They received 'dog at large' citations from the sheriff.

Sheriff said to shoot them next time......I'm going with a paintball gun. I know it hurts like heck when I get hit so hoping this will deter. At the very least, green and pink paint will be evidence the dog owner cannot deny!

GirlOnTheRun

I know ever since that darn coyote grab my rooster, whenever I walk out the door I have the shot gun. I do not care if it is a coyote, a dog, or a cat, I am shooting. It is not easy hatching and raising up chicks just to have them killed and ate. It is a lot of work if you ask me.

Quote:
Mental note - Never tick off countrybum.
hide.gif

Quote:
It sounds like your neighbors must be related to my stupid neighbors. We all ended up going to court over it, and I won. The funny part is that when they were in front of the judge they said absolutely idiotic things. I guess stupid people just can't help themselves. Shoot the dog when it comes back. Meanwhile, charge her for the damages.

Back
Top Bottom