Well, here soon the days getting longer should kickstart more layers, I think! It probably won't be much longer... and no one wants to go out at 5am to turn on lights hahaha
I hope so. I am excited for Hummer to start again and the rest to just plain start. LOL They are getting old and trying my patience LOL They are now 9 mo old........ (39 weeks 3 days) LOL

They are staying out a tiny bit later now. They go in around 4:45-4:50 instead of 4:30... They still don't come out till around 7ish though. LOL

We are supposed to have FREEZING temps on Tue so I am a bit nervous for that. our High is 14* and low is 4* windchill is even lower. I am kicking myself for not getting the run wrapped (was trying to figure out how to do it that the puppy wouldn't tear the plastic since he will scratch at the run sometimes to see them) and I work till 3 tomorrow so not much time after till it gets dark to get it done....... May just at least try to get the part under the coop done.......

Soooo eggciting. LOL I remember our first egg. Such a cool time. Congrats!!!!!!
celebrate chicken run GIF by Aardman Animations

I hope so. I am excited for Hummer to start again and the rest to just plain start. LOL They are getting old and trying my patience LOL They are now 9 mo old........ (39 weeks 3 days) LOL

They are staying out a tiny bit later now. They go in around 4:45-4:50 instead of 4:30... They still don't come out till around 7ish though. LOL

We are supposed to have FREEZING temps on Tue so I am a bit nervous for that. our High is 14* and low is 4* windchill is even lower. I am kicking myself for not getting the run wrapped (was trying to figure out how to do it that the puppy wouldn't tear the plastic since he will scratch at the run sometimes to see them) and I work till 3 tomorrow so not much time after till it gets dark to get it done....... May just at least try to get the part under the coop done.......
I was having the same thought about plastic sheeting with puppers... I decided to use the clear corrugated plastic roofing stuff instead... this stuff:
Screenshot_20220110-084544_Chrome.jpg

It's tougher and will still be a good wind block, while still allowing sunlight in. You can cut it to whatever size you need with heavy duty scissors. Do you think that might work for you?

Tragedy has struck our house...

I let Blackie outside for her outside playtime today, and she was being totally normal. Eating, drinking, dust bathing etc, prancing around doing her funny broody speed-run...

I went back inside for 10 minutes, and when I went back out to get her and bring her inside... she was laying on her side in the run gasping for air but making no sound. Her comb was purplish-blue. I picked her up and tried to see if I could help her and she thrashed for a second, went still... and died. She must have eaten something that got stuck and blocked her throat... idk.

So there I was, standing in total shock, holding her dead chicken body. I went into the garage and got a little box to put her in because I couldn't bear to put her in a bag for trash. She was such a good girl and proud egg-momma.

I went back inside and carefully collected her eggs and moved them to the incubator. Now I really need them to hatch since they are her "children" and all we will have left of her.

Sad day. :hit

Back
Top Bottom