junior67

Songster
Jan 29, 2021
MA
This is the funniest thing hahahahaha

You know those girls have to keep you guessing... its their favorite game!!! I bet they meet in the mornings to discuss how you're onto them...
They probably do! They figure they have been too consistent so need to mix it up a bit.

the rest of my gang has been going in and scratching around in the coop the past week or so which they normally don't do. not sure if it is because it has been so cold out since they don't even look around the nesting boxes just scratch around the floor. My rooster too. LOL But one of the Light Brahmas has been peeking at the nest boxes but looks more like looking for bugs than checking them out. so who knows. And it is hard to tell which is which on the camera since there are only slight differences and even in person I struggle at times figuring out who is who. I have no clue what is up with them since they will be 8 mo in a week and their age that they "should lay" when you look them up is 6-7 mo... they are just lazy! LOL My other 2 girls "should" be between 8-9 mo so we shall see since their combs are still quite small and pale still.

MochaLatte

Songster
Jul 15, 2021
Central Illinois
they don't even look around the nesting boxes just scratch around the floor
I think this is definitely a gearing-up sign. All of my babies that have started did this when they were getting ready. I think it's like them trying to look for a good/comfortable/safe place to lay, very casually. ...and then you get the baddie girls that decide random places in the coop ARE the best to lay!

Joyfillednomads

Songster
Feb 11, 2021
United States of America
Today, at 18 weeks and 4 days... our lovely girl, Zoingo, laid her first egg!!! (She is either a Production Blue or Blue Rock, we don't really know).

This is the first egg of our flock, but several others look to be getting close! Zoingo has been squatting for about 2 weeks and pelvic separation has been there for about a week.

Here is the lovely girl having a dust bath and our first little egg! (The white eggs are fake ceramic ones)

View attachment 2824505 View attachment 2824507 View attachment 2824509
Yay!!!!! Magical moments

junior67

Songster
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I think this is definitely a gearing-up sign. All of my babies that have started did this when they were getting ready. I think it's like them trying to look for a good/comfortable/safe place to lay, very casually. ...and then you get the baddie girls that decide random places in the coop ARE the best to lay!
I would say maybe but my roo is in there too. Lol

MochaLatte

Songster
Jul 15, 2021
Central Illinois
Hummer laid today. While she has gone to every other day her eggs have been good size for her. The last 4 have been 51g, 49g, 53g, 53g
Consistent girl... and eggies getting bigger!!! I had 8 girls lay today... still waiting for that dozen eggs in one day to happen LOL

Zoingo broke her record today with a (I'm guessing double yolker) 108g egg. Brittany also made a double yolk egg today, but it is 61g so really big for her!

junior67

Songster
Jan 29, 2021
MA
Consistent girl... and eggies getting bigger!!! I had 8 girls lay today... still waiting for that dozen eggs in one day to happen LOL

Zoingo broke her record today with a (I'm guessing double yolker) 108g egg. Brittany also made a double yolk egg today, but it is 61g so really big for her!
Wow on 8 in a day. I won't get that for almost a year once the ones I get next year start laying. Lol. I can't even imagine getting 7 in a day from mine. Lol.

Holy cow on Zoingos egg. wow on Brittany since she still a fairly new layer that is huge!!!

I have only gotten one double yolker so far. I am sad since I read how common it was for new layers. Lol. Mine missed that memo.

junior67

Songster
Jan 29, 2021
MA
In the 16 days of Nov that I started putting the info in the app Nugget laid 13, Annabelle 10,, and Hummer 9. Then that mystery coop one that I am guessing is Annabelle.... I added the run one to hers since I am pretty sure that one belongs to her.

Can't wait to see what the whole mo. Of Dec looks like.

Top Bottom