It Has Been A Tough Summer

thudson

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Gatesville Texas
This summer has been terrible on my older girls in my flock. Yes some of my girls have lived a long happy life but this incredible heat is taking its toll. I have lost 5 of my good older hens in the past 5 weeks. I know it is part of it, but dog gone it, I am so sad to see these losses. I take pride in my flock and I know we all do, but all of a sudden Blam I lost 5. I am even installing a mister on my coop this weekend hoping it will soothe the remaining girls a little bit. Now I got 10 hens in another coop just now starting to lay eggs and I got 9 chicks coming from the hatchery tomorrow. I got 6 remaining older hens I just want to get through this heat for hopefully another year. Everyone just please say a little prayer for this old man and his flock to hopefully get us through! Thanks bunches!:fl:he:idunno:old

This summer has been terrible on my older girls in my flock. Yes some of my girls have lived a long happy life but this incredible heat is taking its toll. I have lost 5 of my good older hens in the past 5 weeks. I know it is part of it, but dog gone it, I am so sad to see these losses. I take pride in my flock and I know we all do, but all of a sudden Blam I lost 5. I am even installing a mister on my coop this weekend hoping it will soothe the remaining girls a little bit. Now I got 10 hens in another coop just now starting to lay eggs and I got 9 chicks coming from the hatchery tomorrow. I got 6 remaining older hens I just want to get through this heat for hopefully another year. Everyone just please say a little prayer for this old man and his flock to hopefully get us through! Thanks bunches!:fl:he:idunno:old

I know what you are going thru. It's so hard to lose the old ones. I lost 13 of them last winter due to the cold. Most of them were between 5 and 9 years old. No matter what we do we can't control the weather. But I do hope it cools down for you soon. Shade and cool water is about all we can offer them this time of year to help them get thru it.:bow

That’s wow,maybe it was just lack of airflow?Ir maybe your girls were truly old.
Now that I look at it I realize their age is catching up to them. Plus this unusual heat, dry weather, and all the wild fires burning around us making air quality terrible. I been so busy at work I didn't realize how much of an impact all these issues were having on them. I am just going to keep helping them all I can through this spell. At this time we actually broke a record for the hottest day in Our area ever 114. I will keep doing all I can.

Back
Top Bottom