It IS a hawk!!

I don't know how well it helps, but the Nite Guard people sell what they call repellent tape. It's similar to what CDs do, but it seems more visible, and it also makes a snapping sound in a gentle breeze.

https://shop.niteguard.com/products/nite-guard-repellent-tape

My run is uncovered, so I don't trust my flock out there when I'm not present. I'm going to do something about it this coming week.

You can purchase holographic(rainbow tape)called scare tape and use that back & forth across top of run etc. Even the slightest breeze produces effect/

Also an update: have not seen the bird since I saw him in our tree. I’ve been keeping an eye out. I haven’t even seen him flying around but I’m sure he’s still near. I think it’s a prairie falcon. That or it’s a peregrine falcon but it looked more prairie. I’m not sure how big those are but I don’t doubt that it could still attempt to take down a hen. I’m not worried about the hens as much as my ducks. I don’t think it would go for my pekin since he’s so big but my mallard is the smallest bird in the run... she has the ability to fly luckily but I don’t know what she’d do in that situation.

Hey gal!
There isn't much you can "legally" do I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure Hawks as well as other birds of prey are protected under the migratory bird treaty Act.
If covering your run isn't an option . . maybe you could tie some long pieces of rope/cloth or something crisscrossing over the top of your run? Anything to deter the hawk from being able to just swoop down easily. . something to slow it down at least so that your birds have time to run for cover.
:goodpost: I was going to suggest the crisscrossing option as well. My friend's daughter, who loves my chickens, also gave me a pair of her metallic pompons, which I have strung up on the twine. They flash and flap--idk, maybe it helps.

Here's a video from a couple days ago...watch behind the run and you'll see the hawk swoop down. He then tries to run around at ground level. He stalked them for 10 minutes before giving up and flying off. The girls wouldn't come out of the coop for two days.

Wow. Good thing they were inside. Your coop looks AMAZING. Did you build that?

I would not take much solace in not seeing the hawk for a while. there are so many different predators that can get chickens, a covered run is really the only solution IMHO. the very best fencing is hardware cloth, but that can be too expensive for a big run, then again, it may be worth it to keep your beloveds alive. it does not matter how big or small they are, a hawk can kill on the spot and eat what it wants right there if it has to. at the very least I would fence in part of the run with a cover so that during hawk season you can keep the chickens in.

Here's a video from a couple days ago...watch behind the run and you'll see the hawk swoop down. He then tries to run around at ground level. He stalked them for 10 minutes before giving up and flying off. The girls wouldn't come out of the coop for two days.

Looks like a possible sharp shine hawk

Back
Top Bottom