it looks like she's pooping her intestine. *New Questions*

Sooooooooo glad to hear she's doing better!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks, y'all for your encouragement!

She has gone more than 24 hours now without pushing it back out.

BUT

i don't think she's 'lined up' right. She made one semi-normal poop yesterday, but that's it. She's trying to eat but has eaten hardly anything. She's drinking a lot, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Her crop is HUGE - but with water.

Question:

Is it safe to give a chick an enema?

It seems to me that her plumbing is still kind of kinked up, even though she's not pushing it out anymore. And i was thinking that maybe a little flush from the back side would help get things back in order.

Anybody know?

Last edited:
You might try giving her a little molasses in her water. I'm not sure what the ratio is, but it should be here somewhere. You might search for it. You may also need to massage her crop a bit...

Well, i'm not getting any responses, but she's pushed it back out again this morning, and she's bleeding again. So i think i'm going to have to find out for myself. If i can't do something pretty quickly, she's just not going to be able to hold up. She's quite a trooper, but if she can't digest food....

Yeah, I don't know how long you should keep up doing that every day. Her quality of life is in question. Poor girl! This is when I call in hubby to make a rational decision...because I think with my heart and not with my head when it comes to my animals. But certainly you don't want her to suffer if she becomes deconditioned from not eating. Oh poor baby, i feel so bad for her, and you!

If you could find a vet/ vet tech even I'm wondering if they could pop it back in and put a few stitches in it? My parrot vet had to do that with my 'too but she's a chronic egg layer, and her poops have been messy ever since. no more prolapse though.

Thanks for the responses, cheeps and amy.

A vet really isn't an option. And i can pop it in just fine, but there's blockage.

And i agree. I don't want her to decline and starve to death. That's just not in the cards, which is why i'm kind of desperate to get her flowing well today or make a painful decision. She still seems strong, and she's drinking and trying to poop, so i'm trying to help her.

I was able to fashion a little chicken enema out of some very small plastic tubing and a dishsoap bottle. (You know you're a redneck if...)

The second time i used the enema, the passage was more clear, so i'm hoping it will do some good. I left her alone to see if she passes something. I figured i'll let her rest a bit and then go back in. I'll give her some more water here in a little and mix some molasses with it.

A couple more enemas and then a warm bath are in my thoughts.

Praying she recovers.

Although people tend to kind of make you feel bad about not taking a bird to the vet, I know what you mean that it's not an option. I do all i can and if I can't help them, I don't see the point in taking them to the vet, spending $1000, and still having a dead bird at the end. I worked for several years at a large animal vet, and if Dr. Pat can't tell me what to do with one of my birds, there's nothing to be done, luckily though he doesn't charge me for advice!

Good luck with your enemas, the things we do for our animals, lol. Might make us rednecks, but I know i'm proud of my inventions! Just from treating other animals with blockages, I would agree that is your best bet to help her out. Keep us updated!

The enema might not be such a bad idea - especially if she's gotten backed up due to the prolapse. If she can get things moving so she doesn't have to strain so much, it might keep her from prolapsing again.

I hope you can stay ahead of things!

Back
Top Bottom