itchy head?

nursefusion

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Portland, OR
Hi everyone.

I got my three chicks from mypetchicken.com on Wednesday. I noticed right away that one of them was smaller and less active (breed: australorp). That little one has trouble.

Every few minutes (I haven't set a timer or anything) she goes into a head-scratching fit _slash_ panic attack. I think she is in pain and can't find resources on what to do.

On Wednesday and Thursday daytime she wasn't scratching her head but she was so weak that *I* was having a panic attack. I ground up medicated crumble in yogurt and spoon fed her, finger-dripped water for her and got her back on her feet.

She seemed okay for most of Thursday. But that night I had to go to work. She was left with my significant who does his best but isn't great at this kinda thing. He called me and told me about the scratching.

When i got home she seemed okay. So I went to bed. When I woke up she looked dead. I quickly realized she had kicked herself off her feet and was so tired (possibly from scratching all night long) that she didn't want to bother with getting up.

I examined her and saw she is a little pecked around the neck - I can't tell if the other two birds gave her some concerned/disdainful pecks or if this is from her scratching.

Anyway

Here's video of what's happening
LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUY9g17IiZ8

embed
: <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I gave her electrolytes, and mixed cat food and olive oil in with the food for a protein power snack. I've separated her from the others as of today. The other two are twice her size and totally fine. I put a touch of Apple Cider Vinegar in the group water, gave the little one sugar water Wednesday and electrolytes Thursday.

I'm off to the store to get vitamin (polyvisol) as I've seen quite a few posts here recommending that.

What else can I do?

What is happening to this bird?

I wonder if maybe she's itchy from growing fast - as in, catching up to the others makes her feathers itch. She has been grooming in general more than the others. But, as you see in the video she makes a horrible sad sound when her head itches. And she falls over into food on the ground and then needs to clean that off.

Thank you for any help you may have!
- Julie

P.S. These are my first chicks.

Oh, goodness....that doens't look good. It makes me think she may have mites, but I think that's impossible if she hasn't been outdoors and had access to other chickens that had mites or wild birds....it almost looks like something neurological to me. I'm sorry I can be of more help. You might try giving her some yogurt with her starter sprinkles on top, although if it's neurological, I doubt that'll help. I don't think it could be itchy feathers (at least I've never experienced that) from growing.

Hopefully, someone with more experience than I have will come along soon. Is she eating and drinking okay? Have you contacted mypetchicken to let them know? It's great that you took a video of her.

Oh, was also going to ask - it appears in the video that she's not blinking her eye while you're petting her, near her eye...it could have just been a bit grainy in the video, but if not, is it possible she could be blind? So sorry you're having problems with her, she's adorable!

Poor little thing--I have three of those girls and they are so spunky.
I cannot think of a thing that you haven't done for her.
Unfortunately I do have to agree with Wynette, it looks neuro to me. Keep us posted, I hope all turns out well.

Thank you!

I just emailed MPC.

She has been eating and drinking. Wednesday she didn't seem be eating and drinking but after I nursed her she got into the swing of it and was pecking food out from under the other two and acting like she was totally fine.

Then half a day later this itching thing started.

She's still drinking and eating. I took her out this morning and pushed electrolytes on her just to make sure she's fully hydrated.

Her eyes are really dark. She does close them. I don't think she's blind because she has independently run to piles of food I put out (I mean, long after I put them out - not like she heard me drop food and went to the sound) when the others are pecking elsewhere.

She seems exhausted most of the time, is kind of unbalanced when she stands and doesn't look very comfortable when she sits.

If this is neurological, will she live?

I know very litle about neurological illnesses, and I don't have my Chicken Health Handbook to refer to; I usually do bring it to work with me (that's where I am, doing lots of work...hee-hee) and I refer to it often. My GUESS is that no, she would not survive if it's neurological, but please don't take my word for it. I think you're doing all you can. Only other thing I can think of to suggest to you is adding some Avia Charge 2000 to her water. It's a vitamin/mineral supplement. Good luck - I'll be watching this thread for updates.

that almost looks like a seizure. Her behavior afterward also makes me think she's having seizures.

sad.png

Last edited:
Response from MyPetchicken is

QUOTE Thanks for writing My Pet Chicken with your concern. I'm so sorry your little baby is sick! I have heard of this before, but I don't know what it is caused by... or what to do about it. My GUESS is that occasionally a little bit of down is growing or something else has somehow gotten inside the ear canal.

On a chicken forum I frequent, I believe the person who the chick I'm thinking of ended up trying to cover the area that was getting scratched so it wouldn't get injured. However, her chick grew out of it. So long as your baby is eating, drinking and pooing, she will probably be all right with your care. Keep us updated on her condition, though! We hope she will be all right.

If she seems to be getting weaker rather than stranger, your best bet would be to get her to a vet for a diagnosis. I'm afraid we aren't vets, and couldn't diagnose anything long distance, in any case. If that is not possible, you might try getting advice online from a forum. UNQUOTE

Did you forward the link to the video you took to them? They seem like nice folks, but I think they're wrong.

Quote:
her eyes being really dark also points towards neurological, because if her eyes are staying fixed and not dialiating...i'd say she has brain damage or a brain disorder causing seizures. In the video she looks completely disoriented and that fit seriously looks seizure-like to me. I think those marks on her are probably from her harming herself while having the fit...

when our siberian husky contracted severe seizrues from a rabies shot, the wounds she'd get from them were appauling...chipped teeth, holes in her tounge from biting herself, ripped off claws, ripped off fur off of her head, and welts and cuts from slamming into stuff..it was horrible. After her suffering with it for 6 months (after the seizure medicatoin stopped working) we had her put down..btu she was a big dog and it was just too much for her body.

Back
Top Bottom