It's Breeding Season in FL!

NateinFL

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Wesley Chapel FL
Just wanted share a few pics of my birds...have one egg layed and both hens have wings drooped low and they are making nest spots everywhere...just thought I'd share a few pics. My male develops a crook in his neck during breeding season, anyone else notice this?

And if anybody in FL has pieds or whites that they are looking to sell, I would like them please!

We aren't getting any eggs yet here. My peacock hasn't been really chasing the hens much yet. I am hoping this will be a good breeding season. All of my mature peahens got some good experience last year when one hatched out peachicks successfully and one learned that she was supposed to sit on the eggs and stay put! My peahen that hatched out chicks last year hatched out all girls so hopefully her girls will learn from their mom how to make a nest and set on the eggs.

Yes the peacocks get that bump on their neck during breeding season. I think it has something to do with their voice box or something getting bigger maybe so they can make all those loud calls.

The first year I had a breeding aged peacock and he got that bump on his neck I thought something was wrong with him. Was very relieved when I figured out it was just a breeding time thing.

Thank you! Both my hens are on a nest now...will put some new pics on the thread when babies hatch.

Had to pen up my male because he started attacking my car! Shame on him. Will try in a week to let him back out and see if he can behave himself.

Awesome! I love peahens caring for their babies, especially when you see then hen walking around with them on her back (at least that's what my pied he does).
I know exactly what you mean, they did it all the time last year it was funny to watch. She is taking them for their first walk this morning in the backyard, they haven't gotten very far but they are pecking at everything. 5 of 6 eggs hatched with 3 b.s. and 2 normals.

Back
Top Bottom