It's Breeding Season in FL!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by NateinFL, Mar 30, 2012.

1. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Just wanted share a few pics of my birds...have one egg layed and both hens have wings drooped low and they are making nest spots everywhere...just thought I'd share a few pics. My male develops a crook in his neck during breeding season, anyone else notice this?

And if anybody in FL has pieds or whites that they are looking to sell, I would like them please!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Such beauties! Thank you for sharing your pics,

Sharon

3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    We aren't getting any eggs yet here. My peacock hasn't been really chasing the hens much yet. I am hoping this will be a good breeding season. All of my mature peahens got some good experience last year when one hatched out peachicks successfully and one learned that she was supposed to sit on the eggs and stay put! My peahen that hatched out chicks last year hatched out all girls so hopefully her girls will learn from their mom how to make a nest and set on the eggs.

Yes the peacocks get that bump on their neck during breeding season. I think it has something to do with their voice box or something getting bigger maybe so they can make all those loud calls.

4. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    The first year I had a breeding aged peacock and he got that bump on his neck I thought something was wrong with him. Was very relieved when I figured out it was just a breeding time thing.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    see you have a pair of blackshoulders....wishing you a good hatch rate.

6. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Thank you! Both my hens are on a nest now...will put some new pics on the thread when babies hatch.

Had to pen up my male because he started attacking my car! Shame on him. Will try in a week to let him back out and see if he can behave himself.

7. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Cricket is a Mommy again! Happy Friday. Love coming home from a long work week to find this :)

[​IMG]

8. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Awesome! I love peahens caring for their babies, especially when you see then hen walking around with them on her back (at least that's what my pied he does).

9. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    I know exactly what you mean, they did it all the time last year it was funny to watch. She is taking them for their first walk this morning in the backyard, they haven't gotten very far but they are pecking at everything. 5 of 6 eggs hatched with 3 b.s. and 2 normals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by