its come to the time when i have to decide wich one to get

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
i want a broody a good egglayer, one that will adleast try escape a predetor and hardy in winter. ive researched both and i like welsummers more but i like black orpingtons so id like you to help me decide, welsummer or black orpington?

I have a broody BO. She's been broody since about the first day she laid an egg. BOs are everything you want, but if you like Welsummers better then get one of those. I have no particular affection for my BOs. They don't stand out in my flock for as anything stellar, but they are good, solid birds, lay well, behave themselves, tolerate the cold, etc.

Good luck.

Why not try a few of both? I have black orps and like them, but their not my best layers. They make great eye candy running aroud the yard and are really layed back. The only problem I have with them is the 2 roos I have will run into me if I have to stop when going out to give them some scratch in the evening.
I don't know anything about welsummers but I can tell you that my 2 roo's don't crow even half as much as my barred rock or white rock roo's they just seem more layed back. It could be I just got lucky with these 2 or maybe it's the line ( I hatched mine from hinkjc).
Black orps aren't bad layers they just won't lay as well as a barred rock or an australorp. That being said I"ll always have some if nothing else to watch their big fluffy butts running around in the sun.

old.gif
:frow I have egg layers and my set up is for them.They consist of production reds and bsl.I want to start getting some brood hens and start raising my own chicks.My rooster is production red.To raise both types is ther anything I would have to change.I have abig run,an8'x8' coop and 3nest boxes.I know this isn't much info,But I'm a little confused.I also want the raise some meaties.I may be making a bigger deal than needed.Just not sure.If you could please advise me on some of the changes I would need to make I'd really appreciate all help.Thanks:thumbsup:celebrate

Last edited:
ooo i just saw welsummers ona farm i walked past, its really hard to choose

Do some reading over on the Welsummer thread. My understanding is that they don't go broody as often as Orps and they tend not to make good mothers. I have adult Blue Orp hens and a Black Orp Roo, and juvenile Buffs. They are nice to look at and they have nice personalities. My broody Orp is an excellent mother, her sister was an excellent auntie. The hens go broody more often than some other breeds, but they don't lay as well as say a Barred Rock. When I was getting eggs (molting now) , it was about four a week or so from each. Welsummers are very attractive birds, and lay nice colored eggs. I have juvenile Welsummers who are 27 weeks and 8 weeks, no eggs yet from any of them. They are inquisitive, but not as friendly as my Orps. Since you can only get two....I say go for one of each.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom